Chapter 11

I have to stop the fight. 

I could hear the steady thud of my paws slamming against the ground repeatedly, and I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. 

They couldn't have been too far ahead, but they seemed impossibly far. 

I had been running for hours. Why had I not caught up to them? 

The panic begin to set in, what if I didn't find them in time? It shouldn't take them too long to get there. 

What if I was going in the completely wrong direction?

The thought had me pause, and I subtly sniffed the air. It didn't matter, it was difficult to chase the scent of a car. 

And that meant I had no idea where I was going. I needed a new plan. 

I knew which direction I needed to go to get back to my old pack... it was up north. And I knew which direction that was.

My best chance was finding them on the way there, or at least I could get there before them and wait. 

Immediately I changed direction, trying my best to speed up, thankful that for the most part, my wolf had healed. 

I begin to lose track of time, focusing on the fact that I could smell the scents that I associated with my old pack, lingering amongst the foliage. 

They must have come through here at some point recently. Why?

Either way, it meant I was close. 

I could tell that the skies were beginning to darken, and the plan was to arrive at nightfall. They'd be near. 

It didn't surprise me that they had decided to drive here, I was exhausted. But I couldn't stop. I didn't even hunt on the way. I had to keep going, had to get there in time.

I was smelling the putrid scent of marked territory before I knew what was happening, and quickly shifted back, dressing myself. 

The darkness had fallen, and I had no idea whether or not they were here. 

I should have smelt him. I shouldn't have been taken by surprise.

A hand clasped around my arm and by the time I turned around to face the person, Alpha Derek's rough, calloused hand had knocked me to the ground. 

I gasped in shock, the fresh pain causing me to wince. 

"Well well, if it isn't the freak." He laughed, almost carelessly, though it had an edge. "Seems like you arrived just in time, your mate just got here."

I winced as he pulled me up, his fingertips digging into my arm. 

He tugged me behind him, not saying a word, until he pulled me into one of the many clearings of the territory.

What was special about this one, however, was that my mate stood there, his pack behind him. 

I melted at the sight of him, I didn't even register the furious expression he sent in my direction as alpha Derek brought me forwards. I stumbled as we walked, too focused on Liam. 

Was he mad that I had come? It seemed too late to turn back now... was it too late?

Liam was stood almost 20 feet away from us. We faced each other, from opposite sides of the clearing. 

I had all but forgotten about Alpha Derek behind me, when he roughly yanked on my hair and pushed me forwards, so I was kneeling on the ground, in front of him. Still looking at Liam.