Chapter 23

Please read the authors note at the end - Thanks!

____________________

There was an ache in my heart, but I chose to ignore it.

Liam was not worth my time.

I was so much higher than him right now. All of our relationship before now, he was the Alpha, I was not even a luna. Just a strange girl with even stranger visions. 

But now I was more. I was not just a girl with a strange talent. I was a goddess with the world at my fingertips.

A battle was coming, and I was going to be prepared for it. I would be the one to lead the wolves to victory.

It was my destiny.

I was realising this now, it all made sense. Why else would I have been through so much, all of my life? Was it all for nothing?

Of course it wasn't.

"Charlotte?" Beta Stephan called out.

"I'm ready." I called back, watching my reflection in the mirror.

I stood in a floor length white dress. This one reminded me more of a wedding dress, the way it fanned out behind me in a train. Yet it made me look more than just a blushing bride, it made me look powerful. The kind of beauty that made men drop to their knees. 

Beta Stephan possessed many dresses similar to this one, and I wore a different one every day. Goddesses never wear the same thing twice. At least, that's what I've been told. 

But this dress had brought on my thoughts of Liam. Because, although it was not a tradition for werewolves to get married - the mate bond was enough for us - it was a symbol of a lasting relationship. Which of course, reminded me of Liam.

I saw just a brief image of myself, in this dress. My arm entwined with Liams as we stood at the front of a church. 

It was a hopeless image really, wolves that got married were a bit of a joke, I suppose. 

It was too human for us. 

And was I really a human?

I was a goddess now, I was much more than just human. 

Turning to face Stephan, who grinned at me, I followed him out of the tent I had been staying in. 

"My luna." He bowed to me, once we got outside. 

I nodded to him, glad that he knew his place. 

I followed him to the larger tent, the one where I had had my first prophecy. I wondered if I would ever have another... it seemed to be a rare occurrence. 

I went to sit at the head of the table, with Beta Stephan to my left. The rest of the pack were already seated, and they were all staring at me, waiting for instruction. 

Good.

I nodded towards them, and they turned down to the food in front of them, digging in.

I had found that since becoming a goddess, I had very few needs.

I didn't need sleep, but I still did it. I felt better afterwards, more rested. Though I could still function perfectly well without it. 

For food though...

Looking down at the plate in front of me, I saw fried eggs with bacon and sausages. Old me would have loved this meal...

Old me was not a goddess.

Food did very little for me now. To me, it did not look at all appetising. And it did not fill me up.

I was not hungry, but it didn't hurt to eat it. 

That was why I had such a small portion size, I didn't need it, it was wasteful. But the pack chefs would be offended if I turned it down, the entire pack always tried their best to make me happy. I tried my best to be gracious in return.

After all, I was their goddess. I had returned from the dead. I was everything to them.

Looking around the pack, I couldn't help but see mates sat together, playfully feeding each other their food.

I looked down at my lap, not wanting to watch them. 

I did miss Liam... I missed having a mate.

But I just couldn't concern myself with him any longer.

He was a weakness... yes he was an alpha, but I knew that he would always put me first. Always looking out for me over the good of his pack. 

It wasn't healthy.

Not for the pack...

A pack needed a good leader. An alpha that could be trusted not to run them astray.

An alpha... like me. 

Calling myself an Alpha felt like a demotion, I was much more than that. Though I suppose, technically I am a luna of Liam's pack... and the Alpha of this one.

Perhaps a goddess is the correct term to describe my position. 

"I'm going for a walk." I announced, standing up and walking out of the tent. 

The presence of the mated wolves was suffocating me. Not because I found it disgusting... but because it made me insanely jealous.

I know, me. A goddess. Jealous of regular old wolves. 

But I couldn't help myself. I missed Liam dearly. I couldn't bear to be a part from him. Yet I knew I had to push away the feeling. If not for me, then the good of the pack. 

Breathing in the fresh air, it was easier to clear my head. 

Liam always had been complicated.

Nothing had changed.

Not really.

____________________________________________

I am so sorry for the short chapter! But this is the last filler chapter in the entire book I promise!

I am planning to make the book 30 chapters long + an Epilogue. So 8 more updates, which I am hoping to finish within the next three weeks? Hopefully, anyway. 

Anyway, so I would like your opinion on something:

This book is coming to its end, and I will definitely miss writing about the characters, and so I am considering doing a sequel? I can't exactly tell you anything about it including the title and the cover and also the synopsis because it will in fact completely ruin the ending of this book. But I can assure you that it probably isn't the kind of sequel you would expect from a book about mates? I'll put up the title and synopsis in my AN for the Epilogue, because if I do it any earlier it will be classed as a spoiler. I do think that my ideas for it are unique in terms of mate stories, but if any of you think you'd be interested in reading a sequel please let me know!

Please vote/comment if you liked it!

Thanks!