Chapter 19

The moment we got outside of the house a wave of dizziness overcame me, and I stumbled as I lost my balance. But I was certain that it was not a vision. 

"Woah, what's wrong, are you okay?" Liam asked, startled. 

I blinked a couple of times, trying to clear my head. "I don't... I think I'm okay." 

He frowned at me, clearly not believing me. "Maybe you can meet the pack another day-"

"No! No, I'm fine." I insisted, shaking my head and walking forwards. 

I didn't get very far before my legs shook and I fell forwards, caught by Liam. This was becoming a habit, him catching me. 

"Come on, let's get you back inside." He said, scooping an arm under my legs so that he could carry me.

I sighed but didn't protest, thinking that there was little I could do to change his mind, and I didn't want to meet the pack when I wasn't at my best. 

Liam took me back up to his room, though I guess I could call it ours, now. 

He lay me on the bed and sat down next to me without saying a word. 

"Oh," I said, sitting up. "You didn't finish telling me about... you know." Our brief conversation about why he had pushed me away so much had been cut short by that awful vision.

"Right." He said, "Where was I?"

"We were talking about... your mother." I said carefully, unsure of his feelings on the matter.

"Yeah," He nodded, looking towards the balcony. "She died giving birth to me."

"I'm sorry." I said, sympathetically. 

"Not as sorry as me." He sighed, "My father completely blamed me for her death, he-"

"What?" I interrupted, "You were a baby, you didn't have any control over that!"

"I know that now. But I looked up to my father a great deal, and what he told me stuck with me." He said, looking angry. "He detested me for it. He hated me, it didn't matter that I was half her, it didn't matter that I was his own son. I suppose I understand his reasoning for it better now that I have you." He paused to gently stroke the side of my face, a small smile gracing his lips. "I can't imagine losing you."

I closed my eyes in an attempt to take in what he said better, it was still unbelievable to me that he could feel that way. 

"And so he hated me, though he only ever acted on that when we were alone. The loss of his mate had driven him mad, and he needed somebody to take it out on." He continued.

My blood ran cold, remembering my time in the prison. "He abused you." I stated. 

"No, no it wasn't that bad. He wasn't an idiot, I would be in public with the pack a lot. There was no way he could get away with laying a finger on me without someone realising." He shook his head and I felt myself relax. I couldn't bear knowing that what had been done to me was also something Liam could have gone through. "No, it was more... emotional torture."

I looked at him with sympathy. "What did he say to you?"

"He told me that he was going to curse my mate."

My eyes widened, "What? But he didn't... he couldn't have, he didn't know who I was, he died before he ever met me!" 

"When did your visions start?" He asked me, suddenly. 

I blinked at him, "When I was six."

He nodded. "He told me that when I was nine. I suppose that's about the same time."