Chapter 9

"It makes me scream because..." My mind went blank. "Because I see things." 

"What things?" He asked, his eyes burning bright with an intense shade of guilt. 

"I-" My voice died in my throat. What was I doing? I couldn't tell him! He'd hate me! "Memories." I finally said, "I remember the things that happened to me."

I saw he had frozen. What I said was believable, he had seen me there, in that prison. He saw Sam trying to hurt me. He saw my injuries. It made sense that it would be difficult to forget. 

"What did they do to you?" He hissed, "What did that piece of shit alpha do to you!" 

He had looked guilty before, but now he was furious. I watched as he walked away from me, over to the wall and without even hesitating he punched right through it, leaving a gaping hole.

I looked at him in shock, and then he turned around and walked back over to me.

He didn't speak, instead he took one of my hands in his and turned it over, looking at my arm.

It was hideous, covered in faded scars that would probably never go away. He traced one of the particularly prominent ones, sending shivers up my arm. 

He was breathing heavily, trying to contain himself. He took a step closer to me, where I stood against the wall, and put his hands flat against the wall, his arms practically trapping me between them. 

It was oddly comforting, to be stood there against the wall with him. I noticed that he was breathing rather deeply, I guess my scent comforted his wolf. 

His eyes were closed, and his face had gone oddly calm.

"Why did they do it?" He asked in a quiet voice, though his eyebrows had scrunched up because he was concentrating so hard.

I didn't speak. What possible reason would they have to punish me as they had? What lie could I tell him now?

"Charlotte. Why did they do it?" he repeated.

My mind was working fast, but just not fast enough. I couldn't give him an answer, I just couldn't.

"My alpha." I finally said in a numb voice, "He never found his mate." I could tell that Liam had frozen in place at my words. "He wanted me. I said no."

Immediately he punched the wall behind me, leaving two more holes. I jumped when he did it, but I deserved to be afraid.

I was a bad person.

A really bad person. 

"He's more than twice your age." He growled. 

I nodded quickly. "Yes."

An awful, terrible person.

What was wrong with me?

Why was that the best I could come up with?

"And so... he wanted to kill you. He wanted to kill my mate!" he roared, and he grabbed one of my wrists and dragged me behind him as he charged out of the house.

Admittedly, the guilt of what I had said was toned down the moment he called me his mate. I couldn't remember ever hearing him say that, to admit it so freely. 

But there was something nagging at me, where were we going? 

It was late afternoon, but suddenly the sky had dampened and the first drops of rain were beginning to fall. 

I hadn't done much exploring in this pack, and so I had no idea where we were going. But I could tell how furious Liam was.

"Liam? Where are we going?" I asked, tentatively.