Chapter 21

Walking through the packs land was a feat in itself. 

With every step I took, there was a new set of eyes glued to me that hadn't been there a moment before. The pack was in shock. 

Many of them dropped the things they were carrying, and didn't even bother to pick them back up. 

Though I suppose I couldn't blame them, for all they knew, I had just risen from the dead.

Everything had changed, now.

I could feel them around me, I could feel their presence, and I could feel the strange sensation of being adored. 

The further I walked, the more of them I could feel. Like small lightbulbs popping up the moment they saw me and began to process. Was this what my mother had meant? Were they somehow registering me as a goddess?

But I did not have time to concentrate on those around me, even though it was there, in the back of my mind, as though I were thinking of multiple things at once.

I knew where I was heading, I could feel my feet gliding over the terrain, pushing me forwards towards a destination that I was yet to know.

But it was like there was some kind of life-force guiding me, something larger than myself. 

Nobody tried to stand in my way.

Not even the guards, stationed outside of the pack house.

They swiftly moved aside, something in them told them they needn't worry.

The normally creaky doors swung open smoothly at my touch, like curtains. 

Walking up the stairs, I felt the thing pulling me towards Liam throb like a heartbeat, quickening as I grew closer. 

After what seemed like an eternity, I was stood in front of a set of double doors, doors that I had never gone through before.

Instinctively I knew that this was Liam's second office, the one he went to when he wasn't at home.

My hand closed around the metal doorknob, it was slightly warm, or perhaps I was just cold. 

After all, I had not heard or felt my own heartbeat since waking up. If my mother was correct, which I didn't doubt, then I was no longer truly alive. 

I opened the doors gently, they swung out easily, and then I closed them behind me.

The room was a complete mess.

Papers littered the entire room, shredded and deformed, they were useless. 

Furniture had been knocked over, and nobody had bothered to pick it back up. The blinds were drawn closed, only a slither of light making its way through into the room. 

And in the centre of the room, was a desk. Behind it, a leather chair that had been shredded to pieces. 

Liam was sat on the chair, his shoulders slumped in defeat. His eyes closed tightly, as though he were trying to block out the world. 

"I said that I didn't want to be disturbed!" He growled at me, refusing to open his eyes.

I frowned at him, at what he had turned into. 

I said nothing, but inched my way closer to him, soundlessly, despite the paper I had walked across.

"Just leave me alone! Can't you see that I-"

His voice cut off.

He had raised his head.

"Charlotte." He whispered, and stood up. Towering over me, he came to stand directly in front of me.