Chapter 6

The first thing I noticed was the haze. 

The fog that had settled over my vision like a blanket, though it wasn't very comforting. 

I wasn't used to having such restricted sight, to be unable to see in much clarity, it was slightly terrifying, why did everything look so strange?

The fog seemed to thin out somewhere ahead of me, and on instinct I began to walk towards it. My feet dragged behind me as the fog resisted my movements, pushing me away from my destination. 

When I got closer, I could make out the bright shape in the distance that was beginning to show through the fog. 

Liam.

Immediately I picked up speed, I wasn't sure why. But I knew I had to get to him. 

He didn't seem to see me, instead he was staring to his right. 

I followed his gaze and saw a girl with dark hair crouched on the ground, though it was silent, I knew she was crying. 

"Please, please don't." She whimpered, her voice strangely familiar yet in the same way I didn't recognise it. 

I looked back to Liam, his expression was hard, and he was trying not to look at her. 

I gently reached down to the girl and pulled her hair back, out of her face. 

"Charlotte this is how it should be." He said, his voice cold. "I don't want you." 

I stared, trembling, into my own face. Watching as this alternate version of myself began to truly break down, her form shook and tears began to streak down her face. I watched as she wrapped her arms around herself and grimaced, as though she were trying to hold herself together. 

I felt a hand on my shoulder and instinctively I turned to face the owner.

Liam stood there, he dropped his hand from me the moment he had my attention. 

I turned back for a brief second to note that the-other Charlotte had  disappeared. 

"I could never love someone like you." He hissed, not a hint of regret in his perfect voice. 

My heart missed a beat as his words sunk in, "Someone... like me?" I whispered, confused. 

His eyes had turned a malicious shade of black as he stared at me. He was so tall, he leaned over me in a threatening manner. 

"A freak." The word rolled off his tongue easily.

A tight feeling began to make its way through my body, travelling from my stomach outwards, my legs were trembling and I tried to take a step back only to find I was pressed against a wall. 

He stepped closer to me and slowly cocked his head, as though he were sizing me up. 

My breaths were coming shallow and fast now, but my mind was foggy, like our surroundings. 

He raised his heavily calloused hand, and the impact of it hitting my cheek made me fall to the ground, my ankle painfully twisting as I fell. 

There was nothing that felt good about the contact, no tingles spreading through my skin, just the feel of my wolf, somewhere inside of me, the utter despair of a mate abusing us. 

"You don't deserve to be my mate." He hissed, and lifted his foot as though to stomp on me. 

I gasped as I sat up, the fog was gone, and so was Liam.

I was lying on top of my bed, feeling my heart slow down back to its usual rhythm. 

I didn't dare close my eyes, afraid that I'd have to see it again.