Chapter 25

"My goddess... the pack grows restless. They want to know what it is they are fighting for." Beta Stephan told me, looking disturbed. He did not approve of the pack questioning my actions. 

I lay my palm flat against his back in reassurance, "It is natural that they should question it." I told him. "But I have seen that they will fight for me regardless, I am still their goddess. They want to trust me."

"You are our saviour, Charlotte. You are the light." He whispered, putting his hands together as though in a prayer. 

"Thank you, Stephan. I shall try my best to see this cause. Soon we will need to communicate with the other packs, to ask for their helps. We need to know what it is we are fighting." I said, and waved him away with a flourish of the hand. He nodded and bowed gently, before backing out of my tent. 

Beta Stephan often came to update me on the status of the pack, I hadn't been around them too much recently. Though I did not want to admit it, I missed Liam. And his absence was affecting me. I did not want the pack to see me weak. 

I had threatened him, I told him I was going to speak to my mother. To ask her to break our bond.

In all honesty, I didn't know if she could actually do such a thing, and then there was the question of whether or not she would actually agree. I had only ever seen her form bonds, never break them. Though, whether or not that was through choice or by lack of ability, I wasn't sure. 

But, in reality I wasn't even going to ask her. 

Perhaps there would come a time when the world was peaceful and there was no need for me to lead the wolves through a fight, and I would have time for a mate. 

If I know Liam, he would take me back in a heartbeat. 

But regardless, I still hadn't decided how serious I had been when I told him I shouldn't have had a mate.

There was a part of me, mostly spurred on by the goddess in me, that caused me to know that I was above him, that our relationship just wouldn't work with us being on such vastly different levels. A part of me that knew I could function without him.

But I still had a wolf. I could still feel the mate bond. I did love him, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to let him go. 

As a goddess, I was perfectly comfortable wherever I was. But there was something about being intricately connected with nature that made me prefer the outdoors. 

And so, leaving my tent, I walked at a brisk pace. 

I wasn't entirely sure where I was heading, but pretty soon I ended up in the same spot that I had been in just the other day with Liam. 

The ground was split open, the gaping hole showing no sign of its depth. 

There was something quite metaphorical about it all, a natural split between our territories. 

Perhaps this was the best place for me to be to see the future, I was on a boundary between the two packs. Somehow a part of both, while being with neither at the same time.

Edging forwards, towards the split, I closed my eyes and continued to walk until the soft ground was no longer below me. 

Opening my eyes, I saw myself floating above the crack, half way between each territory. 

My skirt pulsed gently up and down, reminding me of the beat of an angels wings, allowing my to hover here, safely. 

I shut my eyes once more, willing myself to concentrate. 

I was standing in front of a treeline that wasn't familiar to me, the tree's were dense and dark. I could barely see a thing.

But slowly, a pair of amber spheres began to glow somewhere within it's depths.