Chapter 30

Liam's POV

Sitting in my office, I stared blankly at the pile of paperwork in front of me. Asking other packs to help us meant a ridiculous load of work for me to do. Who came up with this anyway? Nobody even checks the records. 

Leaning my head forward, I rested it on my arms in defeat.

It wasn't the paperwork that was bugging me, not really. There was something else on my mind. 

You are not good enough to be mated with a goddess.

It wasn't even her words that had hurt me. I wasn't sure what she was playing at, but I knew that my Charlotte would never say those things. 

But even so... seeing her walk away from me, threatening to break our bond. 

She hadn't done it, I would know if she had. I didn't even know if it were possible. Even if it was, I didn't think there was anything that could make me love her any less. 

It didn't matter what she had said to me, I'd still take her back in a heartbeat. 

I didn't truly believe that she didn't want me anymore. She was the girl that I had hurt so much when we first met. I suppose I deserved it now. 

Suddenly, the door banged open into one of the book shelves, knocking files of important records onto the floor. 

"Do you mind-" I began to say, but cut myself off when I saw the expression of the man at the door.

He looked young, with a round face and wide eyes. He couldn't be more than 18. 

"Alpha!" He called out, sounding anxious. "They've attacked!" 

Immediately standing up, my eyes widened in surprise. "Who is it? What happened?"

"The rogues. They turned on our luna- um, I mean our goddess." He gasped, stuttering, "They tried to attack her, but Beta Stephan jumped in the way. Now all the packs and the rogues are fighting each other, all the rogues are trying to reach Charlotte to kill her!"

I felt my eyes narrowing as my fists clenched, "They're... trying to kill her? Right now? You're telling me... they are out there right now fighting... and my mate is the target? And I am only being told this now?"

He stared at me, his mouth dropped open, surprised at my reaction. "I... I'm so sorry alpha!"

Launching myself around my desk, I shoved him roughly out of the way and rushed past, somehow already knowing where the fight was taking place, because it was where Charlotte was. 

The alpha wolf within me was ready to pounce, every single cell of my body was on high alert. They were trying to kill my mate.

I was practically seeing red, the overwhelming need to protect her was taking over me. 

Rushing outside, the rest of my pack was already gone. They had already heard about the battle and had gone to help out.

Why had the rogues turned on us so suddenly? Admittedly, they had always been a risk... but even so, what would set them off?

What had Charlotte said that set them off? Because although it pained me to say it, it had to of been her. She was the only one with enough influence to be the catalyst for such an event. 

Had she been spieling more nonsense about her being a goddess, and how that made her better than the rest of us?

I still loved her of course, but even I had to admit that she was being ridiculous. Had this fight caused her to realise her mistakes?