Chapter 3

Everything went by in a blur, a wolf threw some clothes towards my mate, and he dressed so fast I didn't even know what was happening, only noting the absence of his arms around me for a brief moment.

Without even a hesitation, as soon as he was dressed he took me by the hand and led me from the room, abruptly stopping when I accidentally tripped, his eyes darting across me to check that I was okay.

He took me up the steps that led out of the prison, keeping me upright when I stumbled, my body weak without food.

No sooner than we reached the last step, a set of thundering footsteps approached us quickly, the power I felt told me it was alpha Derek.

He growled and walked right up to us, making a move to grab me but before he could, my mate had pushed me behind him and was growling at Derek in warning.

"No." He growled at Derek," almost as a challenge. Alpha Derek wasn't stupid, he knew that he was weaker than this alpha, and didn't want to die just to get me back.

He wanted me dead, but he also wanted me out of his pack.

"Fine." Derek smirked, "You take the rogue, but you should know... we have no interests in making an alliance with a pack that rescues rogues."

My mate snarled at him angrily, but said nothing. 

I had an odd feeling of disappointment, like I had been expecting him to defend me or something. I didn't understand how I could be labelled a rogue, I'd never left the pack land once in my life.

"We're leaving." The alpha said, he sounded tense, as though he were holding himself back. 

I frowned slightly, and turned back to face my pack. The majority of people seemed unsure of what to think of the situation. I suppose it was strange, the freak of the pack, mated to an alpha. 

The only people it really seemed to affect were my parents. Standing together, they were both staring after me with unreadable expressions. They had lost both of their daughters now.

I held their gazes for a moment, not breathing, waiting. 

But nothing happened. They didn't rush to say goodbye to me, or to tell me to stay. Not even a pathetic hug. 

I don't know why I was surprised. They hadn't even tried to save me from my death. I turned away, knowing that if I didn't I'd likely begin to cry. 

The alpha came to stand next to me, Liam, I recalled was his name. He towered over me, and made me feel small. I might be his mate, but that didn't make him any less intimidating. 

"What's your name?" He asked, his piercing gaze focused on me for a moment before he looked away. 

"Charlotte." I replied. He made no move to even acknowledge that I had spoken, and a pang of rejection echoed in my heart. 

"Clark." He suddenly said. I looked up to see a very muscular wolf step up in front of Alpha Sutton. "Take Charlotte to one of the cars to drive back." 

I looked up in surprise, he wasn't going to take me back himself?

Obviously I didn't know much about mates, but supposedly alpha were a lot more possessive than regular wolves, yet he's so... okay with me being in a car alone with another male?

I was completely confused. This isn't what I expected at all. 

I didn't have much more time to think about it though, as the male wolf, Clark, had gestured for me to follow him to one of the cars.

Begrudgingly, I took a few steps forward, following Clark, before my legs practically gave out beneath me and I fell to the ground.

I hissed in pain, my hands had flew out in front of me to take the impact of the fall, and that resulted in tiny stones and sticks sticking into my palms.