Chapter 22

Beta Stephan's eyes were wide with shock, as he knelt down before me. 

"My goddess... my goddess you are alive." He wept, small tears making their way down his face.

"Yes." I replied, "A miscommunication on my mothers behalf..." 

He shook his head as sobs racketed their way through him. "I am so sorry my great luna... I should have listened more carefully."

I sent him a gentle smile, trying to reassure him. 

Slowly, the pack members had begun to hear news of my arrival, and were joining us in this clearing. 

Several of them broke down at the mere sight of me, their partners catching them in their arms. I didn't feel so shocked any more when that happened.

I felt it.

I felt this new power coursing through my veins. I felt that I was strong. I felt that I was a goddess.

I had been all along, in a way.

"My dear goddess... did you only come here to announce that you were still alive?" He asked me.

"No." I shook my head. "I want the packs to merge."

Immediately there was a mumbling going around the group, I decided to let them talk it out before I gave them any further instructions. 

I turned to face Liam, whose face was contorted in surprise. 

I did love Liam. But suddenly I was able to see the entire picture... I was no longer so restricted by the mate bond. There were some things that were more important. 

"And who is to be the alpha, my goddess?" Asked Stephan.

I turned back to face him. "I will be the alpha." I announced.

"Charlotte." Liam said, his tone confused.

I turned to face him. "Maybe we should go on a walk, Liam."

He gave me a short nod and held out his arm for me to take. 

I walked past him, preferring him to follow me rather than let him take the lead.

"It's better this way, Liam." I said to him, sending him a small smile. 

"I don't understand. Charlotte, that wasn't your decision to make. You can't force me to give you my entire pack." He pleaded.

My eyes widened, "Liam, this is for the best. Who better than to lead a pack than a god? Do you not think I am capable of this?"

He shook his head, "Charlotte, I thought of you as a goddess since the moment I met you. Just because it turns out I was right, doesn't mean you are above the rest of us."

"But I am." I insisted, "I'm a goddess." 

"Charlotte, I didn't agree to this. You can't expect people to just give everything up for you, for whatever it is you're planning to do with them all."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Yes I can. You just don't get it Liam. I know so much now. And I know that this is the right path. Why don't you trust me?"

"I trust you. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with your decisions. You don't have the authority to make these decisions. You can't force the pack to follow you, that isn't how it works."

"They can't trust you to lead them Liam, look at how you shut them out when you thought I was dead." I told him, looking away. "I'm not so weak as to be affected so much by my mate."

"Charlotte?" He exclaimed in surprise, "How can you say that? I love you, it tore me to shreds when I thought you had left me, all alone. You can feel the mate bond, you shouldn't ignore it now."