Chapter 4

Picture is of Emily Rudd, portraying Charlotte

___________

Alpha Sutton had been gone for hours. I had woken up at the grand time of 6am; I hadn't been able to fall back to sleep since. What woke me up was the feeling of longing in my chest, my wolf could sense Alpha Sutton's absence, and she was just begging me to get up and follow him.

It was past 10 now, and I had been putting up with the restless need to follow him for hours. Of course I knew it was a stupid idea, I could barely even walk last night, there's was no way I'd be able to find him. My wolf, however, was adamant that she could find him.

The one upside to this however, was that my wolf's energized presence was steadily growing, whereas before I could barely feel her emotions. It was nice to see that we were already healing. 

I thought it was strange that Alpha Sutton had left without saying anything, I was his mate after all. I'm sure he had his reasons. Well, that's what I keep telling myself. 

Reluctantly, I managed to pry myself from the comforting embrace of the bed, off to go find some clothes. Surprisingly I was already feeling more like myself, not requiring quite so much effort just to move around. 

I picked up the first clothes I saw, which turned out to be jeans and a loose white blouse. I didn't really tend to do much with my appearance, there wasn't anyone back home that I wanted to dress up for, but now... 

So far, my mate hadn't shown any signs of finding me attractive... what did that mean? Did I need to take care of myself more? His first impressions of me can't have been great, I'd been locked up in a cell for a week with no food, and no way to clean myself up.

Suddenly I felt a strange feeling in my stomach, I was worried about what he thought of me. Was that why he had barely said a word to me since meeting me? 

But if that were the case, why had he brought me back to his pack with him? Then again, would he really have left his mate to be killed by her pack? I suppose not. 

I decided to take the opportunity to clean myself up, what would he think of me if I didn't? 

I didn't really feel like standing up for the shower, so I ended up just sitting down inside of it, and trying my best to wash my hair with the standard shampoo that I had found in one of the cabinets. 

I wasn't sure how long I had spent in there, letting the warm water soak my skin and wash away all of the dirt that had manifested across my body in the past week. 

Reluctantly, I left the warmth. But my fingers had already gone wrinkly from the water and my hair was as clean as I could get it. 

I found a towel and did my best to dry my hair, thankfully it was naturally straight so I never had to do anything with it. 

When I had finished, I finally noticed that my wolf had become oddly quiet. Without the sound from the shower, it was a lot easier to hear what was going on in the house. 

I could hear heavy footsteps somewhere downstairs, and by the way my wolf had stopped pestering me to go find Alpha Sutton, I could take a good guess as to who it was. 

For once, I decided not to over think my actions, and so I pushed open my door and left the room, heading for downstairs. Besides, I was hungry. 

Manoeuvring down the stairs was a little more difficult than I had expected. I had made it down the first set of stairs, but currently, I was clutching onto the railing of the second staircase. 

It was ridiculous how helpless I was at the moment, someone could attack me and I probably wouldn't see them coming, never mind defend myself. 

Just as I thought I was getting better at walking down the stairs, my luck ran out and my footing was just slightly off place, but it resulted in my ankle twisting round painfully and me not being able to regain my balance.