Chapter 8

No one had ever confused me as much as Liam Sutton had. Not in my entire life. 

One minute he was turning his back on me, ignoring me. And the next he's defending me from his own wolves? 

It just didn't make any sense. 

Once we had returned, I had gone straight upstairs, and to nobodies surprise, Alpha Liam left the house. 

I figured that it would be unwise of me to leave the house at this point. It was lucky that Liam had been around earlier, but I had a feeling that next time it happened he wouldn't be there to save me. So I wasn't going to leave the house, not in wolf form, at least. 

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the front door. I frowned, if somebody needed the alpha, surely they would mind link him... so what would they want with me?

I made my way down to the door and opened it, coming face-to-face with a girl slightly shorter than I was, who looked around the same age as me.

"Hi!" She chirped, smiling, "I'm Kayla, Liam's sister." 

I didn't even know he had a sister. 

"Oh er, hello." I replied, unsure of what to say.

She simply beamed at me in reply and gently pushed me to the side before launching herself through the door. 

"Mind if I come in?" She asked, as though she wasn't already in the room.

"Um, of course." I mumbled, closing the door behind her. 

She went and took a seat on the sofa, grinning at me while motioning for me to come sit down.

Gingerly, I picked my way over to her and sat down, a little nervous. 

"So you're my brothers mate." She stated, a little giddily, "I've heard nothing about you!" 

I was a little taken aback, he hadn't mentioned anything to her? Then again, he didn't exactly know much about me himself. I didn't know about him either. 

"Yeah, I guess so." I replied, realising she was waiting for me to say something. 

"So... is he treating you well? Have you mated yet?" She asked, and then reached over and tried to yank down the collar of my shirt as though to check for a mark. 

The moment her hand made contact with me I flinched and stumbled backwards. 

Her dark eyes widened, "Oh er, sorry." She then took a deep breath of the air, "Nah, his scent isn't very prominent on you."

"It's um, okay." I said awkwardly, I wasn't sure how much she knew about what had happened to me. But I suppose no one did, aside from Alpha Derek.

"Why haven't you mated?" She boldly asked, her intense eyes felt like they were seeing right into my soul. 

"Um, I just-" Thankfully I was saved from answering.

The door swung open and Liam came through the door, walking quickly as he always did. He almost walked right past us, sparing us only a glance before he quickly turned back when he saw his sister. 

"Kayla." He said, his voice emotionless. 

"Liam why have I heard nothing about this girl?" She demanded, in a way that suggested she wasn't really mad. "You didn't tell me how pretty she was!"

I felt my cheeks turn a deep red at her comment, Liam said nothing. I found myself briefly wondering why he hadn't mentioned that, but then I realised that he probably disagreed with her. But ignoring that, nobody had ever told me I was pretty before. Not even my parents.