Pt2 Chapter Seventeen

KIRA'S POV             

I was up early to go to work, already decked out in my navy blue shirt with the white LIFEGUARD plastered on my back and the right plastic whistle dangling from my neck. I was just about to pour a heavy amount of two percent into my bowl of Frosted Flakes when Tess slipped through the door, clutching her denim jacket and purse in one hand and furiously wiping her eyes with the other.

I was by her side in a second, and soon enveloping her in a giant hug. I brought her to the couch and quickly fixed her a cup of freshly brewed coffee and her favorite Hazelnut creamer. I proceeded to call in sick to work, and then sit with Tess as she sobbed a little harder into my shoulder for a good thirty minutes.

She was just wiping her remaining tears as Lucy, who was usually the first one up on most days, bumbled into the kitchen with her it's-a-new-day attitude which was quickly overthrown when she noticed Tess and me on the couch, mugs in hand and horrified expressions.

"Tess, honey, what in the world?" Lucy was by her side immediately, which just sent Tess into another fit in her arms. From all the commotion, two very sleep deprived Lizzie and Jenna's wondered into the living room, looks of puzzlement and shock built along there faces as they sat with us, right after Jenna fixed herself a cup of coffee. Charlie was the last to arrive in our little scene after she received a CODE RED text from me and busted through the doorway just as it seemed Tess was done sobbing on each of our shoulders.

"Sorry for being the blunt friend," Charlie began as another round of coffee was steaming in the pot and we were all sat back in the couch, with our feet propped on the coffee table and blank looks of space on our faces as we waited for Tess' story to begin. "But you should really tell us what's going on Tess, so we can help you."

Tess' dull grey eyes glanced into each of our own before she gulped and opened her mouth to speak. She snapped her jaws shut, and repeated the actions thrice more before finally forming small, whispered words. "I slept with Zayn."

There was eye widening and gasp emitting galore. Ever single girl sat around our little table was stunned into a shocked silence, while Tess just glanced down at her Van clad feet, tears brewing again at the surface of her pupils.

"Let me get this straight," Lucy, the voice of reason, was the first to speak. "You had sex with Zayn, correct?" Tess nodded and Lucy went back to a quiet thinking.

"Well, shouldn't that be a good thing? You guys getting back together and all?" Lizzie asked and Jenna nodded her head in a questioning agreement.

"No, not at all." Tess spoke, her voice more audible than the previous words she'd spoken.

"Well, why the hell not?" It was Charlie who spoke, arms crossed and expression even more cross.

"Because he's still with Perrie." Tess' voice dripped back down a couple octaves until she resorted to slurping her coffee loudly.

"Oh, screw Perrie." Charlie replied loudly, hands brushing the air above her head. "For all we know, she's a big fat fake." Charlie clamped her hands over her mouth and glanced at her shoes guiltily.

"Charlie...?" I asked, but the black-haired girl sitting across from me just shook her head.

"All I'm saying is, Zayn must obviously still love you, Tess. Maybe you should take this whole 'we had sex last night' thing seriously, like as I way of him trying to tell you he really wants you back. And maybe he took it as a 'you want him back' kind of thing too." Charlie said thoughtfully.

"Charlie's right. He obviously wants you back, Tess. Maybe you should give him another chance." Lucy pointed out.

"I just don't know if I can deal with the heartbreak anymore. Him going on tour, leaving, the screaming girls who are all so beautiful and just putting themselves out there for him, not to mention the ones that hate my guts. I just don't know. I just... I don't think I can put myself through that a second time." Tess breathed out, her voice carrying over the whole apartment.