Pt1 Chapter Twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE

TESS' P.O.V.

"Hey, Tess, you wanna go pick up a pizza with us?" I looked up from my book and armchair in the lobby to see Zayn and Liam standing over me.

We were currently in Lincoln, Nebraska, and the next day, which was the fourth of July, was when we were going to Kira's family's house. It was also currently three thirty in the morning.

"I guess so. You guys are hungry this late?" I asked as I placed a bookmark in my book and slipped my flip flops back on.

"Yep." Liam replied, popping the "P." Of course they were, I shouldn't have even asked.

"And we're taking you because everyone else is asleep, and we have to protect you." Zayn grinned as we walked to the van parked outside and Liam got behind the wheel. The van was driven by the band and Lou, the boy's stylist, with her adorable baby girl, Lux, while the rest of us were driven by Paul in the extremely large tour bus that was parked around the back of the hotel.

"You can have it." Zayn opened the door to the passenger side and gestured for me to get in. I smiled as he shut my door back and climbed into the back middle seat.

We rode for a few minutes until we found Pizza Hut, got a pizza, and were headed back before Paul or anyone else had realized we were gone.

"Turn the tunes on, Liam." Zayn commanded and Liam hit the button with his palm. I shouted at him to stop changing the stations when I heard Big Time Rush's "Windows Down." I snorted with laughter when I realized Zayn and Liam were singing along.

"What? They're a cool band!" Zayn defended himself as Liam parked and we got out.

"Right, I'm sure that's why you like them." I laughed at him.

"I'm telling the truth!" Zayn cried and put his arm around me. I immediately froze and snatched myself away from him.

"Tess...?"

"Well, I'm off to bed. Night, boys." I rushed out and ran into the waiting elevator and to mine and Lizzy's room.

I sank onto my bed and tried to control my breathing. I didn't know why I couldn't let a guy in. I mean, I did know why, but it had been almost a year. I should be over it, but just the thought of a guy getting too close, of me opening up to him, repelled me. I knew as soon as I began to trust, I would get hurt again.

***

The hour car ride to Kira's uncle's house depressed me greatly; it made me realize what today actually was.

"Tess, you alright? You were a bit quiet on the bus." Niall asked me when we got out.

"Yeah, Niall," I forced a smile. "Just went to bed too late last night." Niall nodded and walked away. I started to follow when I felt someone watching me. I looked up and met Zayn's liquid brown eyes; he looked almost hurt, searching for an answer to why I'd dissed him the night before. An answer I couldn't, and wouldn't, give.

I just turned away from him and followed our group inside, where I found introductions and table setting taking place.

"You guys have to stay here tonight." Kira's Aunt Kim said. "We have beds in the basement, and all the couches." We agreed, since Paul had dropped us off and went to a near-by hotel to have some non-One Direction time.

We trooped outside to the garage and sat around the tables set up for our cookout. I grabbed a Dr. Pepper out of a cooler and sat at the table farthest from Zayn; I just couldn't face him and his liquid brown eyes I wanted to fall into.