Freedom.. almost

"How do you know what I am? Who the hell are you?" I narrowed my eyes at her once I shifted back to human form.

"I am Dakota, and I'm the first angel." She said, proudly.

My eyes went wide, "But- aren't you supposed to be dead?"

She cocked a brow at me, "So are you."

I wiped the surprise off my face, "Good point. Why are you here, tormenting me?"

She sighed before speaking, "I truly am sorry if I hurt you. I needed you to shift back, I needed you at full power if we are going to defeat Lucifer."

"You know? You believe me?" I breathed, the feeling of someone else believing me made my heart soar.

"Yes." Dakota nodded. "I was made aware through a dream, Lucifer brought me here to keep me from trying to stop his plan back in our lifetime."

"Our lifetime?"

"Yes, technically this life will happen for a part of your soul as it will for all the other's here. Just not yet. Think of this as an alternate universe, all this- everything you remember, is going to happen. It's another life though. It's complicated really." She answered.

I shrugged, not really caring about the details at the moment. I looked over at her figure as I realized something.

"So that's why I feel so protective over you, you're the first angel. Guardian's are especially protective of you, more so than normal angels, yet less than to whom we are bonded. I understand this feeling now." I said more to myself than to her.

"Correct, Mimi."

"We need to get to my family." I said, straightening up and getting serious.

"And to my mate."

"What the heck is a mate?"

~~~

"You have a soul mate? That's so cool! And it's Balthazar! Even cooler!" I said, excitedly.

She chuckled, "You have one too, everyone does. It's just that some attractions and bonds are stronger than other's, not everyone is lucky enough to find their mate. Many lose them for foolish reasons, then spend the rest of their life trying to fill the whole the other left."

I hardly heard the last part of her sentence, instead a growl passed my lips. "I don't want a soul mate! I have Castiel."

She rolled her eyes at me, "He is your soul mate, smart one."

"Oh." I perked up. "Well, good. Now, what is the plan?"

"You mean you don't have one?" She turned to me, moving a forest tree branch out of her way.

"No? Why would I?" I looked at her like she was missing a few marbles.

She let the tree branch swing back and smack me in the face. She laughed and she was lucky she was the first angel, I told myself as I rubbed my face, annoyed.

"Because I've been spending everyday since I remembered everything trying to figure out how to get you out of that crazy house."

"Well lookie here, I'm already out because I spent the last couple months training myself to do that. So it's your turn to contribute."

She huffed, "Well, your guess is as good as mine. We can't try and convince anyone the truth until we have some solid proof, I know that much."

"Have you tried talking to anyone about any of it?" I asked her.

She narrowed her eyes at nothing in particular. "I tried to bring the subject up to Balthazar, he just thought I was joking around and carried on his merry way."

I growled, "This is bull, no one's going to believe us!"

Dakota gave me a small smirk, "Guess we'll just have to save the boys ourselves."

I held up my knuckles to her for a fist bump, "Not like it's the first time I've had to do this."

She chuckled, meeting my knuckles with her own. As soon as she did I felt the Earth beneath me shift, the air around us changed and her wings fluttered. All the indications she was transporting us somewhere, it startled me for a moment but I knew I was safe with her. She was my friend, we were connected on a deep supernatural level. Our inner souls held a deep respect for how powerful the other was, it was something that was very rarely broken between our kind.

I opened my eyes a moment later to find that we were standing in a studio apartment, nothing terribly fancy but it was pretty cozy and cute.

"Woah, little warning next time you decide I'm walking too slow?" I mumbled.

"Sorry," She spoke sheepishly, "I needed to do that before we exited the tree's shelter. This is my place, go take a shower. I grabbed some of your clothes from your place and I put them in the bathroom for you. We've got some serious thinking to do."

~~~

"Looking good, hot shot." Dakota smirked at me from her place on the couch.

"Is there a reason you brought me only my more.. revealing outfits?" I raised a brow at her.

She looked me over, nodding in approval at my black body con skirt. I paired it with a white loose fitting tank top that had a little pocket in the upper right hand part of the material. I threw on my black leather jacket and some boots.

"You need to make quite the entrance when everyone sees you again. Now c'mon, lets at least get the introductions done and over with. Then we can figure out how to sort out this cluster." She took me hand and quickly zapped us to the studio.

I drew in a nervous breath at seeing everything again, a million thoughts flooded through me but I shoved them back down. I had work to do and lives to save, there was no time to be nervous over the little crap. Once we were back home everyone would apologize to me for being an asshole, then they would thank me. This was Lucifer's show and it was time to tune it to a different station. It was time to make it Dakota and mine's.

"Let's do this thing." I said, a voice of confidence flowing through me as I strutted forward.

"Atta girl." I could practically hear the smirk in her voice as she followed me.