Far From Over

My feet hit the ground in the utmost ungraceful tumble, my four legs tripping over themselves and my nose making contact with the ground. I scrambled to get up, looking around for my family. Carol transported us back to our plane, we just needed to heal Cas and everything would be as it should be. Lucifer was gone, everyone had their memory back, and each soul was as it should be in its own timeline.

I surveyed the large random field we landed in. The air was cool on my fur, the grayness of the light colored sky hinting at the fact the sun had set behind them. The four of us were the only beings occupying the empty field and that was a problem. The four of us.

I ran up to Carol as her weakened form dusted herself off, speaking to her mind. 'Where is Castiel?' Worry was evident in my tone, even telepathically.

Carol shut her eyes tightly, looking away from me as she began to speak. Her sentence was cut off by a cry of relief as I was nearly tackled from the side, the sound followed by a hearty laugh and hands gripping my fur tightly. Dean nuzzling himself into the side of me while Sam wrapped himself around my neck, both brothers clinging to my large form. I turned to look at Sam as I noticed the smell of salt in the air, his tears evident for the sensitivity of my snout. I took a moment to just close my eyes and appreciate this moment.

To appreciate the fact that they were alive. We were alive, we were together, we were safe. For now. My two brothers, my two best friends and partners in life's adventures. My chosen family that I wouldn't trade for anything. Not for a crown in heaven nor for a second chance at a life without pain.

They were mine and I theirs. We were the only concrete foundation we three had and would have for our lives. Nothing else is certain. Nothing else but us. We would always be at each others back when the enemy surrounds the other, always at each others front when calling someone out on their stupid shit. We were it. We were always it. My big brothers, my family. 

They made me feels as if nothing bad would happen in the moments we were all together like this. As though we could take on any evil and come out on top as we always have. Perhaps God drew us together to do just that. To kick ass, and kick ass we did. The only problem with the situation was there was one other who made me feels whole.

Who made me feel as though I had never breathed properly before him and never would after him. He was mine and I was his before our feet had ever hit ground. Before we even knew the term 'soulmate'. My eternity was his and he was mine, we belonged to no one yet we had all of the other. The only problem I had with him, was that he wasn't anywhere to be found.

My mood shifted with the thought, turning my head to Carol I saw she already was looking at me. Her sad eyes gave me a churning feeling in my stomach.

'Where is Castiel, Carol?' I spoked again to her, more firmly this time.

She tossed me articles of clothing I didn't even see she was carrying, my jaws snapping them out of the air. "Get dressed.' Was her only reply and I reluctantly didn't argue.

I stepped away from Sam and Dean, trotting over to a nearby fallen tree and tucking myself behind the tall roots that had been ripped from the safety of the ground. I shifted back to my human self, my intimidating form becoming less so. I tossed on the black hoodie and gray sweats, ignoring the stinging cold that was being sent to my core from the cold floor against my toes.