forty five

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry, I've been taking a break from this book but I think I'm gonna try and finish it, I don't know, but I just finished writing this new chapter so I hope you guys like it :-)
-Cat x

Kylie's P.O.V.

I woke up to the sound of a thumping. My eyes fluttered open and I rubbed the sleepiness out of them with my hands. I sat up to see that I had fallen asleep on the couch with my head on Luke's chest, my head right above where his heart beat.

Judging by the amount of light coming through the windows, it was about noon.

I poked Luke's cheek and he stirred a bit before opening his eyes halfway. He had a lazy expression on his face and he hummed, asking why I woke him up.

"It's lunchtime, come on," I grabbed his hand and tried to pull him up.

He groaned but stood up anyways.

I went into the kitchen to find something to eat. Settling on a bag of popcorn, I shoved it into the microwave. After it started popping, Luke entered the kitchen.

"Kylie?"

"Hmm?"

"I need to talk to you," Seriousness took over the demeanor in the room.

I looked over to him. "What's wrong?"

He bit his lip before taking my hand in his and guiding me to the living room. He gestured for me to sit on the couch and he soon followed suit.

"Kylie, I... I think that you should tell your parents about what happened a few months back. You know, with Evan and Dean?" His jaw tightened as he mentioned the two's names. "I can't stand the fact that they put you through all of that and they're running free. I want you to feel safe, not afraid to turn the corner. You know what I mean?"

I nodded my head, avoiding eye contact.

"Yeah.. I guess you're right. It's just, I don't even know how to begin to tell my parents about it. Even if I did, they're never around for me to tell them."

Luke sighed and put his hand on my shoulder. "I know, but maybe they could fly over here next weekend? If you want, I'll be right next to you when you tell them?"

I nodded again with a smile.

*Exactly one week later*

I picked at my nails as I heard a car pull into the driveway. Luke pulled me into his side to comfort me from my nerves.

"Shhhhh," He mumbled into my hair.

I rested my forehead against his chest for a few seconds until I heard the front door open. I slowly pulled myself from Luke, turning around to greet my parents.

"Hi sweetie," My mother smiled in my direction before giving Luke and I hugs. My dad also pulled me in for a hug, but shook Luke's hand to give off that intimidating fatherly aura.

After offering them drinks and lunch, which they politely declined to both, we all sat and exchanged a few awkward words.

"Well Kylie, what was it that you two wanted to talk to us about? You're mother and I have a lot of business to take care of here today before we head back to the U.S." My dad rushed.

"Um, well it's a rather serious matter," I spoke in a proper tone, not really as comfortable as I should be with my parents.

All of the speeches I'd been practicing this past week suddenly left my mind and I turned to Luke with a plea for help.

With a serious face, Luke started out, "Mr. and Mrs. Steel, something happened a few months back that.. that Kylie wasn't really ready to share with you too yet. It's all been extremely hard on her, and she's just now willing to open up about it with you both."

My parents' faces had deep confusion written across them. I continued for Luke, not wanting to put the pressure of telling my parents on him.

"Last year, when I was dating Evan..." I paused, my voice completely leaving me.

I felt Luke grab my hand and squeeze it.

"Evan.. He sorta, um..." I took in a deep breathe and felt as my heart raced with nerves. "Got physical with me, erm-"

"Oh my God Kylie are you pregnant?" My mother asked frantically.

My head shot up with wide eyes, "No mom!"

Relief washed over my parent's faces. "Then what is it?"

"Evan sorta.. hit me... a lot." I spoke choppily, trying to use the right words and failing.

"What?" My dad questioned with anger lacing his words.

"Yeah.. But that's not the main thing I needed to talk to you guys about," I said quickly before they could get a chance to react yet.

"Um, last year, the last day I went to school before we left, I had already broken up with Evan and I had gone on a date with Dean, which ended horribly, I guess they met up that night before. I was at school early and they showed up before anybody else was there, and they were really drunk. And I guess they were both really pissed at me, and uh, they cornered me and pulled me into the woods by the school. And they... they tried doing things to me and they touched me. Luckily, Luke and Calum were there to stop them and make me safe." I looked up at my parents, not really sure how to end and how they were gonna react.

I squeezed Luke's hand as I waited for one of them to say something.

"Well," My mom started, trying to remain calm. "We're going to have to handle this situation like adults and take them to court and get a restraining order put on them." She paused trying to find her words. "Are you okay honey? We can talk about it in private if-"

"Yeah mom, I'm alright now. I know I'm safe," I smiled over at Luke and he returned it while squeezing my hand again.