Chapter 29

"Easy!"

I was up and on my sore feet in a flash wincing at the hurt but standing firm against the stranger before me.

He was not human. Nor was he wolf. I sniffed at the air about him and came up without a scent at all. What was he? Friend or foe? Why was he even here? I was in the middle of nowhere.

Despite the many questions revolving around my head, I received the answers to none.

The man crouched low on his haunches regarding me with more measured calm that spoke volumes of his capabilities. I was not some puny looking wolf that could even be mistaken for a dog. I was large and vicious. A creature humans ran screaming from and yet this scentless man didn't.

"I have been waiting for you," he said instead, shocking me further.

"Change," he ordered. "You are hurt and need to be attended."

That he knew I was a changeling didn't jolt me one bit. I already knew he was more than he seemed. But I was a wolf in heat. The very last thing I would do is appear naked before a man. 

Any man.

The low growl that left my throat was gritted warning this man would do well yo heed.

I shook off the dirt road dust that clung to my fur making me surely twice as heavy. Dry dust flung high and wide yet oddly enough none touched the blue eyed dark haired man before me. I cocked my head to the side to better study him. He was dashing no doubt. Bronze skin made his eyes startling. But a sensual pair of lips and an arrogant nose made his hawk like eyes appear all the more mesmerisingly blue.

Looking into their depths I felt ridiculously... thirsty.

Panting hard to cool myself down I tore my gaze away to look about for an inviting pool of water but the only glimpse of blue I saw was in the skies above, as dawn broke over me and in eyes of the stranger before me.