Chapter 10

There was a sudden shift in the air. I stilled my movements and raised my nose to sniff the air. A violent howl rang through the breaking dawn. I stood stock still waiting for something to happen both ears were cocked upright as I listened hard then my companions were there surrounding me.

I laid back my ear appreciating their protection and then it happened. A wolf larger then I had seen yet and more ferocious ripped through the shrubs shredding the foilage in his wake as he moved with lighting speed to intercept us before we made it to those houses. I knew we had to make a wild run for it and we had to do it now before this wolf caught up with us.

I skittered back in indecision watching that explosion of power eat up the distance between us. My companions stood firm forming a formidable wall between the charging wolf and I. Then I saw it the team behind him. That wolf was not alone. That decided me. I turned tail and ran yipping as I did so, calling to the others to join me in our escape.

Then I put all I had into the final sprint. I did not stop to look back as a scuffle broke up behind me. Instead I simply charged on ahead. Then I was there. I ignored the first few homes then on spotting a face in a window, I made for that house.

The door swung opened just as I reached it and then it closed and locked directly behind me. I swung about and faced my friend or foe, I was still uncertain so I let lose a warning growl and waited for their reaction.