Chapter 22

"My Dear, there is a reason why royals are kept imprisoned,' tutted Professor Lan. Mere wolves cannot hope to contain them and you have provoked our resident monarch into a frenzy to mate. It was the only way we had of ensuring the others had a chance to mate with you before Reid whisked you off to Luna knows where.

Reid. I had to meet with him. I did not think I was royal. We had already met, he would have told me if I were or would he. Either way, my being royalty did not matter. Reid should not be imprisoned because of me. It was also time I left the packs. It was evident I was not meantto find my mate here. Possibly not anywhere. The thought of going to live alone again was difficult to swallow. I suddenly found I could not do it. Having Dorian alone was no longer enough. I needed...I needed a pack.

I liked this one.

"Professor Lan, can I meet with Reid?"

"You wish to see if you are royal?" he asked knowingly.

"I doubt I am royal but I would like to ask him some questions," I replied unperturbed.

"Well good luck getting anything out of him. Royals are a close mouthed sort. But I agree you should meet up with him and his pack. The lot of them are enclosed in barricades just off the barracks. Wolf bane veins are the only way to contain a pack that big. The only way we managed to take Reid down at all was simply cause he was befuddled by you being in heat. Responding to your siren call blindsided him to all risks he would otherwise have been fully alert to. I will talk to the pack elders and have you meet up with Reid and his pack. We have tried all males here and your mate is obviously not amoungst the lot of them so you need to try Reid's pack. For that you will need Reid's permission first. You might want to butter him up a little especially as he has braved imprisonment for you," Professor lan finished making it all seem like my fault.

I may be the misfit who caused the situation butI did not make things worse be falsely imprisoning a royal all through sheer cunning. It did not seem right somehow.

I paid little attention to the rest of my lessons and then let Ben and David guide me to the library where I spent the afternoon devouveing books and filling in the void of knowledge in me with the histories of my kind. I also looked up as much I could on the soviet wolf pack and their histories but there was relatively little to find. Of the Archduke's assasins in the normal histories, there was little to indicate a possible link with soviet wolves.

I decided I needed a run that evening and after Eric stopped by to escort me back to Joes' place. I grabbed a quick bite to eat and went for a run with Joe. We changed back into human form and enjoyed the full moon night. I then explained to him what Professor Lan had been telling me.

'Dis you know Reid was imprisoned here?" I fiinally asked him, wanting to know.

"Yes. I helped capture him. He had been heading in to see you right after the rest of us turned in for the night. I followed and we looked at you through the windows to my room where you were sleeping, I shot a tranquiliser dart at him. With him captured it was easy to lure his pack in behind bars as well."

I felt sickened hearing him relate the sordid affair. It did not ring right, not in any sense. My revulsion showed on my face,

"I would do exactly the same thing again. We may not have mated but imprisoning him gave me, gave my pack and those of our welcome guests a chance to court you. There had been every chance you could have been any one of our mates. It was risk I could not have ignored.

"Will you speak to your father on my request that I see Reid?" I asked deciding to let things be. What was done could not be undone but I would try to at least make things right. Having a rabid royal imprisoned for longer then was absolutely necesary was a mistake, they wouldn't knowingly make. I was sure they would send me in to visit him and make peace.

I would do my best.