Chapter 5

All hell broke lose right outside my doorstep. Ferocious growls could be heared richotting off the walls of the surrounding woods. For practical reasons my home is situated on the fringes of the forest. Never did I imagine that to be a blessing of such extent for had I been in your average suburb I would be looking at life imprisonment in either the local RSPCA, zoo or if I was lucky the nearest forest reserve. And I would not have been imprisoned alone. The lot of them out there would have been locked in there with me.

Joe told me to calm my fears that the fight was in fact good for although his own pack was out there, with an unclaimed she-wolf in heat it was every wolf for themselves.

"The only way to stop the bloodshed would be for you to let me claim you as I got here first," Joe said to me in all perfect seriousness.

Like that was going to happen.

I had this uncontrollable urge to wring the door open and shout at them to stop. But I reigned it in. That would be sheer stupidity.

I glared down at Dorian who lay prone on my couch still out of it. I've pushed back his broken nose into place and patched it as best I could. I was not cut out for dishing out sympathies. Joe sat right accross me watching my every move as if he could not help himself. I didnt think he could. This being in heat business was a pain.

"Usually the she-wolves just ensure they are mated before they go into heat and avoid all this drama, but you had not?" Joe finished questionningly.

"Until today I never knew wolves-people like myself existed. This is the first I've met another like myself," I say then gave him a brief sketch of how I came about.

"You must have been separated from your sire. As a she-wolf, it us unheard off for you to be without protection from young. She-wolves are a scarcity simply because they are so fragile," he said unwittingly provoking my ire.

"I am not fragile, I can fight. I have trained in every human fighting technique..," I started to illustrate but he cut in, "But not wolf fighting techniques."

"Not wolf," I grudgingly admit. There had been no reason or even no way to practice wolf fighting since I was the only wolf, until now.

"Will you train me?" I ask not liking the insecurity being untrained made me feel.

"If you mate with me then, yes" he says, making me think he must be a used car sales man trying to close the deal anyway he can.

He did not look happy with that analogy.

"I am an Alpha in my pack, Alpha Joe of the Sundance pack," Joe said then went on to explain what an alpha was.

" It is not a birthright. It is something you have to train hard to achieve. Only the strongest and the most capable can lead the pack. Annual fight fest is when the alphas are selected. An alphas reign is only so long as he is strong enough to hold his position. It is all about might and not much else. In my day to day job I am a university professor for economics I also dabble as a private equity financer on the side for this short lifespan," he said just before my front door bashed in and a black furred wolf charged in right at him. Joe changed where he sat and met the black wolf head on.