Chapter 23

Natalie, Joe's sister decided that I should have some female bonding time. So that night an impromtu pyjama party was arranged. Given the short notice, I was surprised to see a turnout of over twenty women. They were of all ages and while it was not always obvious in appearance it was as clear as day over mannerism and behaviour. The older females who have lived years longer then my own were more refined in their etiquette then the younglings.

"Hi, I'm Melissa. I am Adam's mum. I believe you went bowling with my son on Tuesday. Now, I know Adam can come across as a little intimidating especially to onevas little as you but he is a good boy...," said the amazon-like tall woman.

That was just one example of the awkwardness I had to deal with. Several of these ladies were mothers,  sisters and cousins to those wolves I was supposed to try out as possible mates.

We started off on an awkward foot but a couple of shots of undiluted whisky later we were as cosy as old chums. I had a lot of questions on mate bonding and these ladies were happy to have a new ear to share their experiences with.

"I remember when Marcus first approached me. I was at the Scatdale markets shopping for fresh produce. We buy our rations in bulk you see, " Marie paused to update me on wolf camp running 101. I nodded patiently waiting for her to finish before I finally urged her on, "You were telling me about how you and Marcus met."

"Yes, I was so young then. Back then in 1301, I was a virtual green horn when it came to guys. We were so conservative, it was impossible to imagine. I was wearing this heavy grey wollen gown that covered me from my neck to my feet. With all those yards of fabric it was impossible even to move. It was my day to shop for our food rations. A woman alone at the market place was a clear invitation for trouble. So naturally I was not alone. My cousin was visiting from another pack and Marcus came with him. They were my two escorts that day. Still it made no difference. I got approached by strange men at every corner. Marcus lost it. It was while he was in the throes of his rage that his wolf called out to my own and just like that we knew we were mates," Martha finshed smiling sweetly in rememberance.

I scowled fiercely. That told me nothing. "What about you, Elenore, how did you meet your mate?" I was quick to pounce on each and everyone of them cataloging their responses so that I may revisit them later and see if I could search for some pattern anything that would help me identify my mate.

The night progessed on. We moved from liquor to coffee and then tea.

We may have been a get together of girls but our conversation were still over boys. The hotness of Reid proved to be a hot topic that had us fanning ourselves and giggling like teenagers. Seemed all the ladies had a soft spot for him.

"Its just something about the royals that gets your heart thumping," said Meagsn and that set us all off into the giggles.