Chapter 30

"You are far from home little one," said the tall stranger. Reaching out a strong hand he ran it through my mud streak fur, soft and caressing.

The rumbling purr that filled the air was shockingly from me. I drew back unhurriedly but with a determination to study this stranger further. Setting aside my unquenched thirst, I cocked my head to once side to study the man before me once more. Epona's friend the Sun God, Nava graced my efforts with his presence. Shining brightly across the land as the sun rose higher into the skies.

With darkness gone all shadows flee with it casting a brilliance of light over the plains around me. But standing stark white in their midst was a force as glaring if not more so. I stared on in awe.

Clad in loose fitting robes that matched the placid background, the man stood apart only by the shadow darkness of his hair and ocean blue of his eyes. Staring into their depths once more my tongue slipped out in a pant I couldn't avoid. I was hot and thirsty.

Mostly thirsty.

"Allow me to help you," said the stranger once more.

Drained out tired as I was, I only barely managed to shake my head. My feet hurt as I drew a wobbly but determined step back.

"Hushhh," murmured the stranger as my rumble turned into a low growl. Crouching down beside me he moved to raise an injured paw. My growl deepened.

"Hush little one. You are hurt. Let me tend to you."

My feet chose right then to give away sending me crashing forward into the dirt. Sprawled inelegantly as I was, I looked up suspiciously into the concern that spread over his face.

"Hush, now," he said again, as I whimpered pitifully instead of emitting the growl I had planned. "I have you."

Reaching out with incredible strength he straightened back up with me towed in his arms. Cradled like a baby, I felt not only ridiculous but weak and useless. It was not a feeling I enjoyed.

His steps were steady and sure. He appeared to be unbothered by my weight and the rising heat that burnt across the desert like a furnace cracking up the the already battered earth even further.

His steady gait had an oddly hypnotic effect, for I found myself dozing off into slumber or more likely the state of unconsciousness.

When I came too my fur clad body was gone and in its place was the naked limbs of the woman that I was.

Thankfully, covered in a sheet.