Chapter 7

This was not the smartest thing I've done but here I was driving my land rover evoque with Dorian beside me nursing his damaed nose an and the males of Joe's pack, the Evergress pack and the Sundawn pack ran alongside us apprearing in and out between the trees of the forests. They matched our speeds withou effort. I actually revved up at several points and blew the speed limits but they only tretched their gait with the slightest efforts and matched our speeds. Ive never raced myself against anything before and it was astonishing to know what Iwas capable off. I knew they were not even ruffled by this extra speed and that they could move way beyond this and probably break the speed of light. Infact thinking back to when Joe had first  ran towards me in his wolf form his speeds were blinding even then. I was sure he broke the speed of light then and that it was not just the darkness that camouflaged his approach.

I rounded a sharp bend and spoke, knowing that every wolf out there would tweak their ears to listen in although they probably already know what I am about to say anyway, " Are you sure about this? It will not be easy out there and I need you alive. You are afterall the front the face to my fortune. I would not want tio be shut out from my own bank account."

"Gee, thanks! Your concern is just so heart warming. I doubt they will kill me. I am sure they would not want you annoyed with them and by now eventhey know how much your bank account means to you," Dorian says not quite jokingly. I did not even twitch the corner of my lips in response for I hadn't been joking. Dorion was the face of my fortune. Without him, I'd have to start all over. I knew instinctively that fact alone would have the wolves wanting to put a priod to his existence. My dependency on Dorion for anything will not be easily tolerated and depleting my fortunes was a sure way to increase my dependency on them the wolves, at least for the short time. I was well capable of churning out a new fortune all on my own. Its the mainitaining of it that proves a problem. Having to reborn into a new identity every fifiteen odd years was combersome to say the least and Dorions family had served well in that regard. For generations they were the front of my fortunes. My role within the family kept chaning as did the locations of where I operate, my hair colour and  dress sense. If someone recognises me I'm always a cousin of my past self for that is the only way to explain away an uncanny resemblance that sometimes even the best coverup cannot camouflage.

Still, despite his reassurance, I was plagued by a lingering doubt that I really should deposit him off elsewhere. So unwittingly going past the next turn off, I made an abrupt decision took a sharp about turn, burning rubber and screeching wheels along the way to make it back and swing into that turn off, away from my appointed route. I resolutely ignored the howls that errupted along from behind knowing it was an outright protest to my actions but that could not be helped. tehy knew why I was doing this and they knew I was right to do this. I would not have the blood of Dorion on my hands. Afterall, I knew mother, his grandmother and several past generations of his family and i owed i to them if nothin else to ensure his safety. I let my instincts guide me like always,I knew it would not lead me astray.