6

Waking up the next morning, I let out a yawn, rubbing my eyes and sitting up in the bed. After talking for hours, Kai and I tried to play chess but I couldn't understand any of the rules so we called it a night.

I yawned again, climbing out the bed and made my way to Kai's room. "Kai." I opened the door but his room was deserted. I raised a brow and went downstairs.

"Malachai?" I repeated louder, but got no answer.

Did he go out last night? I redid my hair into a ponytail. I sat at the island, flicking through the newspaper, a part of me expecting to see something new.

"Same old. Same old." I muttered, scanning the pages before turning to the next. Yet this time there was an extra page. "What the....." I trailed off reading the article.

"Family massacred in Portland." I read to myself. My eyes widened and I continued to read. "Four found dead and the only one missing was the oldest son......." I paused and felt fear rush through me. "Malachai Parker."

"Oh sorry, where are my manners?" I rolled my eyes and he sat himself opposite me. His lips lifted up into a grin. "My names Kai, Kai Parker, what's yours?"

Gasping, I threw the newspaper away from me, noticing my hand shake from what I had just read. "Kai, Kai Parker? Malachai." I blabbered, backing away off the chair and hurrying over to Zeke.

"Shit, shit I need to get out of here."

I fell for a psychopath. And I kissed him. I realised, while I shoved on my trainers. Throwing Zeke on my back, I opened the door to reveal none other than Kai.

I backed away from him in fear but composed myself. "Hey."

Kai's face went puzzled. "Where are you going?" He wondered, stepping into the house and closing the door behind him. I gulped.

"To get myself some stuff, woman things you wouldn't understand." I lied, playing with my fingers nervous.

He nodded, walking into the kitchen. I bit my lip, backing away especially when he noticed the newspaper on the floor.

"I'll see you in a minute." I called, opening the door and stepping out when Kai grabbed me and pulled me back inside.

Woah the boy can run fast. I thought, struggling against his hold. His arm secured itself around my waist and his hand covered my mouth.

He chuckled. "Now, now, Ri." He tutted. "Can't have you running off now can we?"

I continued to struggle and decided to stomp hard on his foot. He let go of me in pain because while I was in trainers, he was only in socks.

Panicking, I decided to do the most stereotypical thing to do in that situation.

I ran up the stairs.

And into another room I thought he wouldn't look in. I quietly eased the door shut and I rushed over to the window, prying it open.

"Oh I see how it is Ri." Kai's voice echoed, throughout the house sending a chill down my spine from fear. A smash appeared and I jumped, gasping quietly.

I shook my head to calm myself down, glancing out the window to see how high the drop was. It wasn't high enough to kill me but high enough to hurt.

"Stay with a psycho or stay alone." I debated. "I'm gonna have to go with yours truly." I decided, sitting myself onto the window ledge.

I spotted a tree in about my reach, so I took a chance and hopped onto the tree. Thankfully I made it and practically hugged the tree while set myself down.