Prologue

"We have no choice," said the woman standing up, her hands pressed on the table before her. "We have to create this school, this safe house, for the special, destined children in the world. Here, they will be protected from the Evils that lurk out there. We can't leave the defenseless children alone." Her eyes flicked to every person sitting in the room, meeting their gaze. After much debate, the committee still hasn't come up with an adequate solution. Everyone was drained and tired. But they forged on, knowing that the things that hung in balance were too great.

"Ahem." All heads turned to the bald man who looked like he was in his early sixties. He was the most respected one here. "I agree with Diane. We have to do this in order to protect not just the children, but all of humanity too. Think of the innocents out there. Most of them only have the vaguest idea of what's going on. They are unprepared for a full-on battle. Even we are unprepared for a full-on battle."

Murmurs of agreements arose from the committee of fifteen sophisticated elites. They all knew the dangers of the Evils, and at this dark time, the school seemed like the best choice.

"It is settled, then." Diane's tense shoulders relaxed and she looked as if a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. "We will start planning the school and its courses. Then we'll need to alert the people and select the gifted ones. There's so much to do." She paused, and looked around her. All eyes were focused on her. "But we'll follow through. We'll ensure that the Evils are put in their place and that the people can live without fear. We can do this. We have to do this." She placed her hand on the table. Fourteen more hands placed themselves on top of hers.

"For Crystallea," she said.

"For Crystallea," echoed the fourteen people around her.

* * * * *

Four years later, the school was complete. Diane and the other fourteen leaders stood in front of the school, looking up at its majestic beauty. It looked like a mansion more than a school, with over fifteen acres of land, including surrounding gardens and fields. Tall towers soared to the sky while elegant arches framed long, slender windows. There was a great hall, three spiraling staircases, and countless rooms for a variety of studies. All in all, the school looked more like a Gothic church than a place of study.

The surrounding fields were lush and green, with wild flowers dotting the entire land. There was a pool, an elegantly carved fountain, and gardens for students to hang out in. It was the most beautiful place for miles in the land of Crystallea. It was...paradise.

For a moment, the fifteen elites took it all in and believed that their mission was finally completed. It was the ultimate safe house, the best haven. The kids would be safe here. They would be protected and grow up to finally defeat the Evils once and for all. Each of them will possess the potential and knowledge to defend themselves from the Evils. Crystallea was safe.

Then the moment passed, and the leaders were again struck with what they had to do. They hadn't finished their task; they'd only started. Each had pledged to teach one of the first classes at the school, and had silently sworn to protect the kids and school with their lives. It was a mutual agreement. Their successors and the successors of the successors will be brave and loyal like the first fifteen, and continue what they have started.

They decided to name the school after rosewood, a plant believed to ward off Evils and protect from dangers. From that day on, the fifteen elites took on a new name: the Rosewood Elders, protectors of Crystallea, defenders of the people, and fighters against Evils.

And Rosewood Academy, school for the chosen children and future protectors of Crystallea, was born.