Chapter 21

Katherine

We tumbled into existence in a heap. While Madeline, Ashley, and Rachel appeared gracefully, the rest of us pitched forward onto the floor. Unable to catch myself and still dizzy, I face planted into the grass. Ugh...my stomach....

I think Madeline cast a teleportation spell. She must've just teleported all of us here, wherever "here" was. During the teleportation, I felt like my entire being was being squeezed like a tube of toothpaste. I thought I saw stars, but it could've just been my eyes playing tricks on me. There was intense pressure, and just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, we popped into existence again. My stomach desperately wanted to regurgitate my breakfast. I forced the bile down, thinking that throwing up in front of Madeline and the others would not be a good impression.

A beetle scuttled through the blades of grass in front of my face. I pushed myself up, and almost fell back down. I looked at Madeline, Ashley, and Rachel, who seemed to be the only ones not affected.

"How are you guys—?" I started, but just then I felt extreme discomfort in my stomach. Spinning around, I threw up onto the grass, heaving all of my breakfast out. Fortunately, Lucian, Aaron, Indigo, and Jason all seemed to be experiencing the same nausea and were all still on the floor, puking their hearts out. At least I was standing.

"Ah, yeah, I forgot to warn you guys about this," Madeline said sheepishly. "First time teleporting can be a bit...uncomfortable. Don't worry, it won't happen the next time."

"I don't think there's going to be a next time," groaned Lucian before throwing up again.

"I am never doing this again," complained Aaron, looking sick.

"I think the only reason Rachel and I weren't affected was because of our magic," Ashley said. "Since we're all sorceresses? Maybe we just have a natural defense against it or something."

"Hm. Maybe. But children, this is where I must leave you. Any more things you want to tell me or ask me before I leave?" Madeline looked at us.

Since half of our team was still on the floor puking I decided to take charge. "Where are we, first of all?" I asked.

"You're about two miles from the village of Goldhedge. See that road over there?" Madeline pointed to a dirt road towards the left. "Head north down that road, and you will reach Goldhedge. After that, just keep heading north, past Queenrise and a few other towns, and you should reach Strongfair."

"Okay, thanks," Indigo said, finally standing up. She wiped her mouth on her sleeve. "Thank you for everything, Madeline. It was an honor meeting you."

"It was my pleasure meeting the prophesied Rosewood Seven," Madeline replied. "I can see the talent you all possess. When the time comes, know that I will be fighting on your side."

She faced all of us. "Remember, be careful, be alert, and trust no one except each other. Lord Victor is cunning and sly. He will try to break you guys apart. Your teamwork is what will defeat him ultimately. I'll tell your parents that you all are not dead yet." She winked at us.

"Wait!" I suddenly remembered something. "Back at the inn, when the evil smoke attacked—I heard its voice in my head and it felt like it was taking over my mind. I felt a lot of pain and coldness. What was that all about? And how come it only affected me?"

"Well..." Madeline hesitated a little. "The evil smoke that you refer to is actually known as the very essence of Evils. There are a lot of theories regarding why you would hear voices and stuff, but I think it's because of your magic."