Chapter 17

Katherine

I regained consciousness gradually, still bone tired. Indigo was right. I shouldn't use my magic this frequently. But I can't just stand there and watch someone die, especially not when it's one of my friends. I won't use my magic unless it's absolutely necessary, I told myself. I'll let Rachel do the healing.

My eyelids felt so heavy. I was aware of a nice quietness around me. I heard the steady breathing of someone fast asleep. Probably Indigo or Ashley or Rachel, since I assumed they got a room for the guys and a room for the girls. No point pretending to be two separate groups when we obviously know each other. I felt a warm blanket on me, and something heavy on top of that, sprawled across me. It wasn't unpleasant—it felt nice and warm—but what was it?

Slowly I forced my eyes open. A window to my right showed that it was nearly dawn but still not quite. The room was barely illuminated, but light enough that I can make out shapes. Looking to my left showed three beds in a line, and on there slept, I presumed, Ashley, Rachel, and Indigo in that order.

Now what was that thing on top of me? I looked, and I had to stifle a yelp of surprise. It wasn't an it, but a he. Aaron's face rested against my stomach, rising and falling with every breath I took. His legs dangled off the bed, but his body was half draped over my lower half of the body. He must've fallen asleep while sitting next to me and fell backwards onto the bed.

A piece of his bangs slipped over his eyes. Aaron twitched, clearly uncomfortable. Without thinking, I reached over and brushed it out of his face. Aaron shifted his body, and his right arm fell across my stomach, his hand landing on top of mine. Surprised, I froze. In the faint morning light he looked so...handsome. His face was relaxed and peaceful, and it only enhanced how good he looked. I never noticed—well I mean of course I noticed that he was good looking, but I never thought of him this way. Aaron was the smartest guy in the school, and probably the most handsome. I knew that many girls had a crush on him. He was always nice to me and everyone, and could always make me laugh. I was never the one for romance, even though secretly I'd hope I would find my happily-ever-after someday. But now, looking at Aaron sprawled across my bed, his hand on top of mine, a flutter in my heart told me that I had fallen for my friend.

Oh god. What is happening to me? I can't. Why am I thinking this? I shook my head to clear my thoughts. There were rumors that Indigo liked Aaron, and he liked her back. They never said anything of course, but it's well known that they do. They're hardcore shipped by everyone. I can't do this. They are perfect for each other. They're—

I stopped my train of thought. You're just thinking too much, I scolded myself. Still disorientated from using your magic. Sighing, I closed my eyes to go back to sleep. But feeling Aaron's hand on mine was still really nice....

"Hey, anything happen last night? If you know what I mean."

"Oh, I don't know. I don't think so," replied a voice that I placed as Ashley. Someone whistled. "Aaron wake up! Look where you are. I can't believe you're still here."

Aaron and I snapped awake at the same time. Our gazes met. Aaron finally realized where he was, and his gaze darted down to our hands, which somehow entangled together over the night. And he was closer to me too. Wonder how that happened...

"Oh my gosh oh my gosh I'm so sorry Kath," apologized Aaron as he unfroze, snatched his arm back, and scrambled up from the bed. I sat up hurriedly.