Chapter 56

Katherine

After my demonstration at the feast, everyone in the camp treated me with a greater degree of respect. When I go around camp, soldiers and generals alike address me with nods and bows, often clearing the way for me to pass through. I could sense their fear; the murmurs and rumors around camp were not new to me. Aaron likes to keep me updated on the gossiping. My favorite one thus far is that I was being recruited by an underground ninja organization.

General Coventry glares at me whenever I'm in the vicinity, but one glance from me is enough to cause him to quickly avert his eyes and look uncomfortable. He did become a lot more respectful when speaking to me—and that's if he absolutely had to. Even Lionel seemed more docile around me, treating me like an esteemed guest.

It was weird at first to know that everyone feared me, but it also made me feel powerful. They challenged me, so I showed them who exactly they were trying to mess with. Little did they know, the acts I performed that night were the extent of my abilities. My swordsmanship was impressive, but it was hard for normal people who don't know sword-fighting to understand how advanced I was. Sword-fighting was an art form, and you had to know art to appreciate art. Thus, the things I could perform and demonstrate the full extent of my abilities was limited.

Two weeks passed. Thanks to Rachel's and my healing magic, I was able to walk and move unassisted on my own. My shoulder still ached if I did strenuous activities, but that was all that hindered me. Lionel and I practiced our sword-fighting together a couple of times, and I learned a few moves from him. Most of the time, he and Indigo were busy welcoming new groups of soldiers and leaders into our camp or discussing battle plans. Lucian, Rachel, Aaron, and I helped train the soldiers in everything from battle formations to defense against Evils. We made sure everyone's weapons were coated or tipped with rosewood.

The final battle was near, and the preparations were underway. We now totaled around three thousand people, which was a small force but nevertheless the best we have. Lionel informed us that other revolutionary groups around Crystallea were all preparing to defend against any invasion should Lord Victor attack towns and villages again. Late night meetings were frequent as all the important generals and we met in the main tent to discuss battle plans. Indigo headed these discussions, pointing out holes in plans and identifying variables we didn't think of.

When the temperature took a plunge, we knew it was time to go. Rachel picked a date—her runes prophesized favorable conditions on this day—and we held one last feast the night before. The next morning, everyone was up at the crack of dawn. We packed up most of the tents and supplies, and ate a hearty breakfast in the clearing. Then everyone was dismissed to put on their armor and sharpen their weapons one last time, before congregating with the supplies they were bringing on the trek into the Northern Mountains.

Lionel stood on top of a hastily-erected stage, facing the mass of soldiers and generals that stood below him. The Rosewood Seven—well, five now—fanned out on either side of him, with Indigo standing right beside him with all the authority of a true commander. I looked out into the crowd, taking in the gleaming armor and shining weapons. Flags fluttered in the cold winter wind, most of them embroidered with a large crimson rose. This was a real army. We actually amassed an army to fight with us.

"Soldiers, brethren, countrymen," Lionel's clear voice rang across the clearing. "You stand here today in front of a daunting journey that none has ever undertaken. We will enter the Northern Mountains and invade Lord Victor's stronghold so that we may demolish this evil presence from Crystallea once and for all. Across the country are hundreds, even thousands, of people just like you and me, who are all standing up and fighting against a villain who has plagued us for far too long. We just happen to be at the forefront of that battle.