Epilogue

Five years later.

"Today's the day. Are you ready, Aaron?" asked Lucian. They were gathered at the bottom of a flight of black quartz steps leading up to a stone platform that rose twenty meters into the air. The entire structure was shaped like the lower half of a pyramid. Standing at each corner of the platform was a stone stand with a stone bowl in which fire flickered, sending wavy columns of smoke into the air. Elaborate symbols painted in red a circle on the ground. An altar with a giant obsidian bowl was at the center, along with a series of peculiar items—some vials, some powders, some unknown objects—laid out in a straight line on the side. Runes and symbols were carved into the stone altar as well.

Around the platform was a field of green grass. If one looked carefully, one could see a circular magic boundary that was glowing faintly. At the outer edge of this large circle, a hundred meters in radius, was a ring of red roses, all in bloom. Beyond that was a crowd of people—Rosewood Elders, curious townspeople, and the families of the surviving Rosewood Four and Katherine.

The day was clear and sunny, without a single cloud in the sky. There wasn't even a slight breeze. Madeline's predictions for favorable conditions were on point. According to her, today was the best day to perform the ritual and cast the spell that should bring Katherine home.

Five years ago, the surviving members of the Rosewood Seven returned to their hometown as heroes. They were all given the highest honors. Lionel received recognition and honors as well. Celebrations for the defeat of Lord Victor went on for days across the kingdom. Every man, woman, and child knew the names of the Rosewood Seven and the tales of the Destined Three. Aaron, Indigo, Rachel, and Lucian were offered positions to be the next Rosewood Elders, though they all declined, saying that they were nowhere ready to become leaders of the kingdom. Perhaps later, the current Rosewood Elders agreed. When they were ready.

But while there was happiness, there was also grief. Three out of the seven families wore black for mourning. Two raised funeral pyres. Visiting Ashley, Jason, and Katherine's families and delivering the news was hard for the survivors. Although no one blamed them, they felt responsible, in some way, for the deaths of their friends. Aaron and Indigo especially felt responsible for Katherine's disappearance, and Aaron swore he would bring her back. Her family clung to the hope that there was some way for their daughter to return to them.

In the days after, the chosen ones carried out their own plans. Burial mounds were created for Ashley and Jason, although their tombs only held their clothing and swords. The tale of the first Rosewood Seven was made known, and the world was shocked. Even the Rosewood Elders were horrified to learn of what their predecessor had done. Spearheaded by Indigo and Aaron, a monument was erected for the first Rosewood Seven and Bianca. This ensured that the names of Caspian, Hugo, Atticus, Gemma, Marcellus, Annalise, Bianca, and Victor would never be forgotten again.

At first, the Elders were hesitant about including Lord Victor's name in the monument. He was the evil lord, they argued. He didn't deserve the recognition reserved for heroes. But Indigo and Aaron stood their ground.

"It was Lord Victor who terrorized the world, but it was Victor who went on a quest and helped defeat the previous evil lord." Aaron stated firmly. "It was Victor who watched his friends die at the hands of people he trusted. He was forced to become Lord Victor by the unfortunate circumstances."

"Of course, it does not excuse the horrific crimes he committed against Crystallea later," Indigo added. "But Victor and Lord Victor are different. After all the injustices Victor suffered, does Victor not deserve redress? Would we be any different from Kendric if we didn't tell history exactly how it happened and rectify the sins of our ancestors?"