Chapter 6

Indigo

Let me get something straight. I never wanted any part to do with a prophecy. But I do believe in fate. And fate made it so that it was the seven of us who faced off an Evil on campus, and that it was the seven of us who had to see the Elders. That meant something.

Elder Thomas paced the room; as he walked, he spoke in a serious tone. "You have heard of the Rosewood Prophecy, yes? And you think you know what it means? There's more to that than what meets the eye.

"Over a hundred years ago, the Rosewood Academy was created by the first fifteen Elders in hopes of preparing the children for war and battle. They just wanted to protect the people. It was never in their wildest hopes and dreams that someone would vanquish the Evils once and for all. But one stormy day, a weird visitor turned up at the doors of the academy. Headmistress Diane Lewinski found him, huddled under the doorway, shivering in the cold. She welcomed him into the academy and gave him food and shelter.

"The stranger's name was Faramond Galvin, and he was a prophet. He said he had a prophecy for the Elders. What he told them became the Rosewood Prophecy. People believed in it for generations afterwards. For once in their lives, they had hope. But what they didn't know was that the prophecy had other parts to it."

"Other parts?" asked Jason, puzzled. "No one said anything about that."

"Exactly. Because aside from the Elders, no one knew. Not even the teachers at the academy knew," replied Annabelle. She continued the story.

"Faramond told the Elders of the chosen seven. But he also said that these seven were not just any kids. They were born with magic in their blood and power in their veins. Trained right, they would benefit the people. If they were to turn against them and work with the Evils, the world was doomed. They would be the first in many many generations to have the abilities their ancestors only dreamed of. The seven would have elemental powers, and powers to activate and use ancient spells. They would have foresight and magic. Each child has a role, Faramond said. There would be fighters and masterminds, warriors and strategists. And I saw that in each of you. There's no doubt that you seven are the chosen ones," said Annabelle.

"Did Faramond say anything about the quest?" I asked cautiously. There was a part of that in the prophecy.

"Yes, he did," replied Hamlet. "Faramond foresaw a dangerous path that you children must now take. You will have to face monsters and dangers, but those aren't to be feared. What you must be careful of is treachery and battles within." He looked at each of us, his eyes sharp and determined. "Whatever happens, remember that you are a team. You all must work together in order for this to be successful. Trust no one else. If there's a problem, work it out together. And remember, don't be a traitor. Please. Whatever the Evils are offering you, remember that not only your lives are at stake. Your families and friends, the people of Crystallea, even our lives are at stake. You can either save or destroy this world. And we believe that we have taught you all to be loyal to each other."

I looked around at my fellow students. This was a lot of information. Suddenly I felt the heavy weight on my shoulders. How am I, a fifteen-year-old teenager, supposed to save the world with six of my friends? How are we going to defeat entire armies of transforming, dangerous monsters? I would consider us lucky if we even managed to go three days in the wild without dying. But apparently, we were the only ones who even had a chance. The adventurous part of me was a teeny bit excited. Powers, Annabelle had said. I was a mastermind. I wanted to see what I could do.

"So, now what do we do?" asked Katherine. "You're not going to send us off immediately, right?"

"No," reassured Thomas. "There will be a sign, or omen, that the time is right. The events that happened so far only proved that you seven are the ones we have been waiting for."