Chapter 67

Katherine

I was captivated by Lord Victor's story. The memories were so vivid, the characters so real, and the emotions so raw. Deep in my heart, I knew that Lord Victor was telling us the truth. But it didn't make sense; how could there be two groups of the Rosewood Seven? Why didn't anyone tell us this? How come no one knew about the first group from centuries ago?

Lord Victor was entirely preoccupied with telling his story. Aaron watched the memory playback with wide eyes, his wound forgotten. I pulled myself forward, little by little. The hilt of my sword was only a meter away now.

The memories continued to play. Marcellus and Victor, two previous heroes of Crystallea, were now the most wanted criminals in Crystallea and wanted dead or alive. Elder Kendric had more power and influence than any of them previously realized. He was personally overseeing the manhunt. He knew that Victor and Marcellus knew the truth. He could not let them live.

"We didn't dare go far, because Annalise was still in Kendric's hands. We knew he couldn't kill her without a believable reason since she was also one of the Destined Three," Lord Victor continued to narrate. "But we all underestimated Kendric's ruthlessness. When we kept evading his pursuits, he used Annalise as a hostage to force us to surrender. We knew something was wrong the moment we saw her.

"Annalise was bound with her hands behind her back when Kendric pushed her out. With Annalise's abilities, she should be able to break free without much trouble. Yet she couldn't even resist Kendric's shove; it sent her falling to the ground. Why couldn't she fire a spell to escape?"

Indeed, in the memory, Annalise's eyes searched the area frantically, but she didn't speak. She and Kendric were in a clearing in a forest, while Victor and Marcelllus were hidden among the trees. She managed to rise to a kneeling position. Her hair was a mess, and her clothes were ripped in many places. Bruises and wounds of all sizes covered her body. Her throat moved, but no sound came out. Her face was too pale, and her lips were purple. Was she poisoned?

"Marcellus, Victor, I know you're there! Surrender, or else Annalise will die here today." Kendric unsheathed his sword and pointed it under Annalise's quivering chin. Her eyes screamed, Don't come out! It's a trap!

Up amongst the leaves of a nearby tree, Marcellus gripped the hilt of his sword so hard his knuckles were white. "He hurt her," he muttered angrily, his gaze murderous. "She can't speak. She can't use her spells. What did he do to Annalise?!"

Beside him, Victor looked just as angry. "I'm going down there," he said with determination. "I'm going to murder that son of a bitch and get Annalise out of there."

"Victor, wait." Marcellus put a hand on Victor's shoulder. "I'll go; you stay hidden. After all, it's you that Kendric really wants. You're the only one who talked to Bianca before she died, and you have the orb now. If you go out there, he'll kill you for sure. But I'm different; I didn't do anything except help you escape. Hell, I might not even know what's really going on. I'm just helping my best friend. Do you understand what I mean?"

"But, Marcellus—" Victor tried to argue. Marcellus held up his hand.

"Nuh-uh. I know you're the mastermind, but trust me on this one. Worst comes to worst, I can fight my way out. There's only, what, one Elder and twenty of his closest followers? You stay here and be our reinforcement." Marcellus patted Victor's shoulder. "You're my best friend. You should know what I'm capable of."

Victor looked conflicted, but finally nodded. "Be careful." With that, Marcellus carefully climbed down the tree and circled around to be in front of Kendric before emerging into the clearing. All weapons were trained on him immediately.