Chapter 34

Aaron

Everyone was frantic. In a few minutes, the campsite was cleared and everything packed away. We split off into our pairs again, with Katherine riding with Ashley and Indigo riding with me. Lucian and Rachel shared a steed, and Jason rode alone. Indigo was not feverish anymore, though she still looked pale and sickly. She was very quiet throughout, barely speaking to anyone and staying off to the side.

As soon as Rachel pinpointed which direction we should head towards, we took off through the forest, trying to balance stealth and speed. The forest was still lit eerily, with random blue orbs floating around. No one dared to go near one again. The horse hooves made soft clip-clops on the wet grass, while the morning dew—or was it last night's rain?—clung to the plant life. Everything looked peaceful—the birds still chirped, the flowers still bloomed, and the forest was lit up with a warm glow. There didn't seem to be any threats.

Even so, we were still on high alert. We didn't know where the Evils were coming from, so we had to keep our eyes open to all directions. Any noise in the undergrowth, any movement in the trees sent us into battle mode. My heart was beating so fast I feared it would soon wear out. The stress was unbearable.

"I see blue orbs! Everyone be careful." Rachel called. Around us, the wispy tendrils of the infamous blue orbs were visible as they slowly rose out of the bushes. Instead of coming towards us, however, they just hovered there, as if considering whether or not we were worth going after.

Ashley had her spells ready. I saw her wand clutched tightly in her hand, her shoulders tense. If anything made a move, she would take them down.

We made our way deeper into the forest, going in the direction Rachel had pointed out for us. Soon, she promised, we would be out of this demented place and into sunlight. But for now, we would have to go through a dense part of the Desederium Forest in order to reach the other side.

The trees around us thickened and the trail narrowed. Soon we were forced to go in a single-file line, making us vulnerable on both sides. When the path finally widened again into a glade, I breathed a sigh of relief. Just as I opened my mouth to say something to Lucian, his horse halted suddenly.

"Guys..." Rachel breathed uneasily. I looked around and sucked in a breath.

Blue orbs were slowly rising from the bushes all around us, lighting the area up in a soft blue color. However, as the glow intensified, the surroundings darkened, until the only light came from these menacing blue orbs. We huddled into a circle in the middle of the clearing, trapped and unsure of our next step.

"What's going on?" Ashley whispered, her voice shaking. "Why are they getting closer?"

Indeed, the blue orbs were slowly advancing, floating through the air towards us. I adverted my gaze, looking around wildly for an escape. We will not die in here. We will not die in here...

"There! An opening!" Lucian pointed in between two orbs. There was a gap between them, wide enough for one horse at a time. Beyond that was a break in between the trees, with the last bit of trail we needed to cover before we emerge into the outside world again.

"Go, go, go!" Rachel ushered us as the blue orbs glided closer. With a neigh, Lucian's horse raised itself on its hind hooves and charged through, scattering the nearest orbs. Jason followed after. Flashes of light appeared as the orbs turned into the distracting visions. Keeping my eyes low and fixed on the small opening, I charged after Jason.