Chapter 1

Katherine

I slid into my seat of my History class just as the bell rang. I flashed a quick smile at my best friend Ashley, and then bent down to dig in my backpack for my homework. I popped up with the assignment just as my teacher, Ms. Teagan, called for attention.

"Today, we will be revisiting the story of the establishment of Rosewood Academy," she said. Several kids groaned. She shot them an irritated glare. "It is important that we never forget the Rosewood Elders and their sacrifices to keep all of Crystallea—that includes you, boys—safe from the Evils." At the mention of Evils, the carefree air in the room dropped a notch. Even the most obnoxious boy in class, John, stopped chatting with his friends.

"Now, please open your textbooks to page 167 and follow along as I read The Story of Rosewood Academy." There was a flapping of pages as the room settled down for the story. Even though I have this piece of history memorized by heart, I still felt the initial flurry of excitement as I eagerly waited to hear this story again.

It begins with a description of the land of Crystallea before the Rosewood Elders came along. They were the fifteen elites of the land, set on finding a way to protect the people from the Evils: dangerous, blood-thirsty monsters. Very little was known about them at the time, but the obvious fact was that they were pure evil (hence the name, Evils). The fifteen elites build the school, hoping that it will train and prepare the children of Crystallea so that each generation can protect itself from the Evils.

All children were originally supposed to attend. But the rigorous curriculum and the difficult prep program made many drop out half-way. Other schools for the common people were established, but the Academy remains the number one institution to prepare the next generation of protectors and fighters. The rosewood was said to keep the monsters at bay and, if used correctly, even kill them. However, there hasn't been an established method to utilize the rosewood, because people couldn't figure out why it sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.

"...It was everyone's hopes that the Evils can be one day vanquished once and for all," Ms. Teagan read. "The Prophecy of the Rosewood Seven has been passed down for generations, yet no one knows exactly when or how the chosen ones will appear."

The prophecy was printed in a yellow-colored box on the textbook page. We all listened intently as Ms. Teagan read it aloud:

" Seven shall rise in times of fear,

Trek far to defend all they hold dear,

Hidden desires become fatal baits,

Snow and fire obscure their fates.

Three shall stand before the enemy:

The first holds the sword of destiny,

The second dons the cloak of great might,

The last one wields the spear of light.

What was captured must be freed,

Blue and gold shall seal the deed,

In opposition the tear will mend,

Ancient summons bring home a friend."

Silence. The entire class was as mesmerized as I am. The prophecy spoke of the three who will defeat the Evils once and for all. Just like in the legends I like to read in my spare time, this prophecy promised a dangerous quest, numerous obstacles, and an exciting story to pass down throughout the generations. But until the chosen seven present themselves, the people of Crystallea still live in fear of another large-scale invasion by the Evils like the one that took place merely twenty years ago.

This was when our parents were our age and still attending the Academy. I've heard my parents talk about the invasion with their friends and family at every reunion we've went to. It was the first major invasion in more than a century, and the people were caught off guard. Villages were looted and burned. Towns were ransacked and all residents killed. No one expected the Evils to move this fast or be this merciless. It is said that of an evil lord was behind it all, but he never showed his face. Nevertheless, his name was well-known by the people: Lord Victor.

There were plenty of henchmen and soldiers. As the Evils pushed through Crystallea, people began joining the dark side in desperation; it was promised that if one joined, they and their families would be spared. However, any traitors would be tortured to death and their loved ones killed. The graduating class of the Academy was sent to the front lines, but it wasn't enough. The Elders at the time decided to host a test in order to pick out those who were capable of joining the resistance and then teaching them advanced magic—which only the Elders were allowed to practice at the time—in order to prepare them for war. Both of my parents were chosen.

Already in their fifth year (the Academy went up to the sixth year), my parents and their friends were young and bold. They were part of the group who snuck into enemy territory and secretly sabotaged and wreaked havoc. They also brought back reports of what was happening and details of the enemy movement. It was dangerous, but exhilarating. At the Battle of Witherwood, the young resistance team succeeded in defeating the Evils, but barely. The Evils retreated just in time—a few minutes longer and the fighters would have all been massacred. Over three-quarters of the fighters died in that battle, many of them fresh out of the Academy.

The heavy loss at the Battle of Witherwood resulted in a shortage of knowledgeable and experienced fighters for years to come, which greatly weakened Crystallea's defenses. Every sighting of Evils lurking around the borders would set off a nationwide alarm. There were small attacks every few years, but nothing big. Yet. Rumors have been circulating about a growing army of Evils and another full-scale invasion by the evil lord.

Everyone hopes that the prophesied seven would appear this generation. Some say that this time, Crystallea is doomed to fall. This time, there would be no Battle of Witherwood to save the people. The Evils would tear through Crystallea and rip it apart. Everyone is afraid.

As the class silently transitioned to worksheets, one thought remained at the front of my mind: I really hope the prophecy comes true soon, because we need it.