Chapter 22

Aaron

"Hey, watch it!" A loud voice caught my attention, even in the din of the crowd. Looking around, I saw a buff muscular guy with tattoos smirk and push aside a child with a basket, no bigger than six. The poor girl fell to the floor, the contents of her basket spilling onto the street. A loaf of bread rolled out, along with some vegetables and a few bakery goods. "You're in the way."

"Now, now, what do we have here?" Another guy with a silver earring shoved his way to the front, and snatched the basket from the girl's trembling hands. He dumped the rest of the food in it out. A few eggs smashed on the stone street. The child looked on the verge of tears.

"Hey! Leave my sister alone!" a boy about eleven years old ran up and stood bravely in front of his sister. The girl cowered behind her brother, using him as her shield.

"He took the groceries," she whimpered, pointing a finger at the bullies.

"I know. It's okay. I'm here now. You okay?" the brother asked, never taking his eyes off of the bullies. His sister nodded.

"Aw would you look at that. How cute." The first guy stepped forward. He looked about twenty, and a total gangster by the look of him.

"Why are you bullying a small child?" the brother demanded angrily.

"She was in our way. Namely, the boss's way." Tattoo took another step forward and crushed the bread underneath his boots. "Don't you know who the boss is? The famed Eric of Shadowville. He's the best fighter in the whole universe. He's going to claim the brooch of Goldhedge for the fourth year in a row." Behind him, I could see a group of about four or five. A guy in the middle, with neat groomed hair and a smirk on his face, watched on, amused. He must be Eric, the ringleader.

"I don't care! Eric's a big fat cheater!" the boy shouted. Earring feigned shock.

"Oh my. He called boss a cheater!" He leaned in. The boy stepped back.

"You know what happens when people disrespect the boss?" Tattoo joined his partner. Together they glared at the boy menacingly. The boy stared back bravely, though I could see the fists at his sides shaking with fear.

"They are punished!" With a roar, Tattoo punched the boy, sending him flying backwards. He slammed into a stall, sending apples and oranges flying all over the place. The boy's sister screamed and ran, probably to find their parents. The boy blinked, dazed, as the two bullies stepped closer, stomping on food without a care.

Eric and his goons walked closer, jeering. He looked at the crowd that had gathered and dared anyone to interfere. No one did. This was a show of what would happen to anyone who dared crossed Eric's way.

Tattoo yanked the boy up by the collar of his shirt, and held him so that their faces were next to each other. The boy's face showed fear, plain as day.

"Don't ever call boss a cheater," Tattoo growled. "Or you will pay!" He tossed the boy in the air like he weighed nothing and Earring slammed another punch to the boy's guts as he came down. It sent the poor boy slamming into the floor, almost ten feet away. Tattoo and Earring laughed, as did Eric's other goons. The poor boy didn't get up. I could see blood.

How could they do this?! My anger flared up. They were just children! Now I get why Mary was so spiteful towards Eric. Tattoo and Earring stepped towards the boy again, evil grins on their faces.