Chapter 40

Indigo

I paced around our campsite, trying to find something to do, something to keep me busy. Rachel and Lucian sat on a log, talking in low tones. Ever since Jason died, Lucian had turned solemn and somber, sometimes distancing himself from the group. The only person who could get him to return to his old self was Rachel. Her patient, calm demeanor brought him a sense of peace, and I often found them hanging out together, either talking or simply enjoying the quiet presence of each other.

Finally, I got tired of walking and sat down on a large rock that jutted out from the floor. Picking up a stick from the forest floor, I began to draw random patterns into the dirt. With only three of us left, the camp felt so much quieter—and lonelier. I missed the way our entire group hung out and laughed together, all seven of us. I missed how Lucian and Jason's antics, although exasperating, were always so endearing. I missed the philosophical discussions we'd get into, or how we'd tell stories of our past, in the Academy.

I thought about all that's happened so far. We were always on the run, ever since we first set foot outside of the Academy. We've been attacked by Evils at least three times, each time in different locations. I thought about how Lord Victor managed to find us at Northbell, then at Strongfair, and then Goldhedge, not to mention in the woods and forests. People have died because of us, because they believed that by helping us, they were helping the world defeat Lord Victor.

Once, I had believed that we could defeat Lord Victor. I would have relished the thrill of adventure and would have loved to go beyond the Academy on a quest. Now, I envied my classmates that stayed behind, all those people who got to go home every day and eat dinner with their families. I envied the normal peasant children, who could run around the fields without worrying about saving the world. Once upon a time I wished to be a hero, to achieve fame. Now I wanted nothing more than to be an unknown student at the Academy.

"Indigo, let's eat lunch." Rachel's voice brought me back from my thoughts. I dropped the stick and smoothed my feet over the upturned soil.

"Okay. What do we have?" I knew that our food stash was dwindling steadily.

Rachel was rifling through her bag. "I have a couple packs of cookies and some canned food. I know Ashley magically refrigerated a lot of foods, so I think we should check her bag."

Sure enough, I found a lot of food in Ashley's bag, which would have all spoiled if she hadn't used magic to keep it "refrigerated". I took out a stack of sandwiches and gave them to Rachel. "This should be enough for the three of us, right?"

"Yes, I think so. Thanks Indigo." Rachel set the sandwiches down on a paper plate. Lucian got up from the log and wandered over, grabbing a sandwich.

"How long has it been since they left?" I asked.

"About four hours," Rachel said after consulting her pocket watch. "Hopefully they'll be back tonight."

Lucian and I nodded, agreeing. The campsite lapsed into silence as we ate. I was used to the casual chatter during mealtimes, but now that only three of us were left, there didn't seem like much to talk about. I wanted to break the silence, but what do I say?

"So...um..." I tried to think about something to talk about, to lighten the solemn mood, but my words failed me. Rachel and Lucian looked at me expectantly. "What are we going to eat for dinner?" I finally blurted out.