Chapter 18

Aaron

I held Katherine in my arms tightly, bringing her close to me. I watched as Rachel placed her right hand on Katherine's forehead. "You're burning," she murmured to Katherine. My brow furrowed in confusion. I could feel Katherine's body against mine. She was ice cold. The iciness seeped through my shirt and chilled me, almost making me recoil from the coldness. Almost. Katherine needed warmth, she needed me. I gritted my teeth and held her closer.

Ashley spoke her spell, a long string of incantations that I couldn't make out. It must be in the old language, one that not many people still know. Her hands made shapes in the air. I watched as trails of purple magic appeared beneath her fingertips, forming intricate symbols and runes. They were wispy and soft, and bent to Ashley's will. The purple magic swirled around us, responding to Ashley's spells.

Rachel traced her own symbols on Katherine's forehead. She muttered counter spells to the evil under her breath, and yellow magic started pouring out of her fingers. It danced and swayed, sparkling and elegant. Ashley raised her voice, chanting faster and more complicated spells. The two magic met and intertwined, branching out, and then coming together again. It seemed to me like an elaborate symbol, but I couldn't be sure.

Katherine had gone unconscious. In the faint purple and yellow light, she seemed really pale and frail. Gently I placed a finger against her neck, feeling for her pulse. It was barely there, and even a non-magical person like me could tell that it was struggling.

Rachel and Ashley joined hands. Their magic swirled faster, spreading and weaving into many, many symbols. Their voices blended into one, loud and strong and clear.

"I call on thy magic, hereby giveth to me

To banish the evil that wrongfully stays

Taking what isn't rightfully theirs

Twisting the mind and poisoning the soul

Dark, vile, monstrous, and foul

Evil be gone! Leave us be!

I banish thee from this realm

Of pure, virtuous souls

I banish thee from this body

Full of light and spirit and fire

I banish thee from all that the sunlight touches

I banish thee to the outermost reaches of magic

I banish thy soul into nothingness

And remove thy powers until the last trace

With powers bestowed unto me I shall

Purify this land and let the evil beings flee

Abiit malum! Evil be gone!

I have hereby exiled thee!"

By the end of the last line, both girls were standing. The room had darkened, illuminated by only the magical tendrils that churned and twisted, casting shadows onto the wooden walls. Rachel and Ashley's clothes had changed from t-shirts and jeans into long sorceress dresses. Their cloaks flapped behind them, and their hair enhanced the look of grim determination on their faces. They actually looked like powerful sorceresses from the past. Both were so into the spell it seemed like they had been doing this for years. Their eyes had an unnatural glint, and the sleeves of their new dresses fluttered when they moved their arms to draw more symbols.