Chapter 52

Indigo

"I sent out notices for our soldiers to bring as much rosewood as they could find to our rendezvous area," Lionel stated, riding atop a great white stallion. He was dressed in a suit of light armor, complete with a fluttering white cloak. "You said rosewood is fatal to Evils, right?"

"Yes, it is." I answered, my horse trotting along beside Lionel's. I couldn't help but think how Lionel looked like a real military leader. "All of the Rosewood Seven's swords are tipped with rosewood. But there's a spell you need to cast in order to activate the magic and actually kill the Evil."

"A spell? Like the one you cast the day you rescued me?" Lionel's eyes sparkled with curiosity. "Can non-magical people like me cast the spell?"

I actually had not thought about this problem. "I don't know," I admitted. "I'll teach you, and then you can see if it works when an Evil actually attacks you."

"And if it doesn't?"

"Well, then, I guess you'll die." I made a face at Lionel, who chuckled.

"Ah, I knew you didn't truly like me. Why else would you teach me a spell that doesn't work and send me to face danger?"

"Lio, quit teasing." Ever since I found out Lionel's nickname was Lio, I refused to call him anything but that. This was my revenge for him calling me "Indy" all the time. Despite his protests that it was a childish nickname, he still answers if I call him by that name.

Before anyone set off on the journey, Joe had divided his group of about fifty men into three groups and planned to send them off one at a time so we wouldn't be traveling in a large, eye-catching group. He was going to go with the first group and maybe recruit some more people along the way. The last group will travel with us, ensuring our safety. Lucian and Rachel volunteered to help lead the first group.

"We'll make sure the journey to the Northern Mountains is safe and obstacle-free," Lucian promised.

"Our powers together should be enough to fend off any bad guys," Rachel added. "Also, someone from the Rosewood Seven needs to oversee what happens at the rendezvous point."

Lionel approved of this plan. I didn't. Every time we split up, something bad happens. Now there are only three of us left; I don't want to let Lucian or Rachel out of my sight. Through long hours of pestering and persuasion, though, I finally relented, but with one condition: "You two can lead the second group, not the first. That way, Lionel and I won't be too far behind."

"Fine, fine, Lucian and Rachel can lead the second group." Lionel waved his hand impatiently. "Any other conditions?"

I shook my head no. Lucian high-fived Lionel. "Let's get our stuff ready, Rachel. We're leaving tomorrow." I watched the two of them leave, chatting animatedly. Lionel stood next to me.

"I just wanted to give them some alone-time," he explained. "They can't be alone together if you're around."

"I know I'm the third wheel." I rolled my eyes at Lionel. "And I totally ship them; why do you think I relented? I'm just worried something will happen to them too. We started this quest with seven people. If Lucian and Rachel are gone too, I'll have no one."

"You have me." Lionel moved as if to hug me, but stopped, perhaps thinking it wasn't proper. "I'm not a chosen one, but you can rely on me, Indy. After all, I'm tall, handsome, and an amazing swordsman. What's there to not love about me?"