Chapter 24

Indigo

I tried to follow Aaron, tried to ask why he's suddenly so afraid, but the thick crowd swallowed Aaron in their midst. I only heard his anguished cry when Reginald fell on the stage, lifeless. I couldn't figure out how Reginald died though. It was clear that Eric didn't stab him. There was blood trickling from the corner of his lips, but how did he die? Aaron must've seen something; otherwise he wouldn't have pushed through that crowd like that.

When I heard Aaron insult Eric so bad even I was shocked at his use of vulgar language (Aaron never cursed before!), my heart nearly stopped, fearing for Aaron's safety. Eric looked mad enough to murder Aaron. And then I heard the words that almost made me faint: "I, Aaron of the Roselands, hereby challenge you." I stood there, shocked into silence, frozen with fear.

"No!" the words exploded from my mouth. I shoved through the crowd, trying to reach Aaron in time. Too late. The crowd closed behind him as Aaron strode purposefully towards the stage. With a leap he somersaulted into the air and landed on the stage with the grace of a gazelle. Just like the many amazing fighters before him, Aaron found taking the stairs a waste of time.

"What the hell does he think he's doing?!" Lucian cursed beside me.

"I don't know! All I know is that Reginald was his cousin and now Aaron's probably really upset over his death!" I snapped back. "Excuse me...pardon...." Lucian and I wove between the people, trying to get closer to the stage.

Up there, Aaron stood facing an angry Eric. Eric's pale face was even paler in anger, and a vein pulsing on his forehead. "You stupid little brat," he spat. "I will destroy you, just like I destroyed Reginald."

"Is that so?" Aaron quirked an eyebrow coolly. "Why don't you actually play by the rules and we'll see who beats who?"

"Play by the rules?" Eric scoffed. "What are you implying, boy? That I cheat?" He looked around, as if expecting the audience to back him up. Everyone glared back at him. Shrugging, Eric turned back to Aaron.

"Yes. You cheat." Aaron said calmly. "You manipulate illusions and cast dark spells and purposely try to kill people." The crowd gasped. Never had someone accused Eric this outright before. Dark magic? Manipulation? Pushing it a little too far, buddy.

"Dark spells? Me? Ha!" Eric jeered. He scrunched up his face and mocked Aaron in a high pitched voice. "'You manipulate illusions and cast dark spells'. Yeah right. Who's gonna believe that?!"

Aaron crossed his arms. A sly smile flitted over his face even as the spectators murmured and doubted his word. Who even believed in magic anymore? "Maybe that's a bit of an overstatement. Let me rephrase that," Aaron said evenly. "I may not have proof for the other fighters, but I do know what you did to kill Reginald." Eric turned his smirk to Aaron.

"Do tell what this 'proof' of yours is," he said, bored. Eric's thugs snickered.

"You killed him with the hand that you concealed with your body," Aaron began to explain slowly. Lucian and I stared up at Aaron, who was so cool and collected. "You concealed five thin silver needles in your hand, tipped with a strong poison. While you distracted us with one arm, flailing around and pretending to lose, you herded the unsuspecting Reginald against the wall. With a sleight-of-the-hand illusion and practiced skill, you shot the needles onto his chest. The result was instant death."

"Oh?" Eric raised an eyebrow questioningly. "And how do you know that?"

Aaron took a deep breath. "Because my mum was murdered that way."