Chapter 38

Katherine

I huddled in my cell, trying futilely to break free of the ropes that now bound my hands behind me. It's been at least a day since I attacked Lord Victor and blacked out from the pain he sent through my body. I hated how he could defeat me so easily, without lifting even a finger. I felt so powerless and weak, because all my sword skills could not save me from Lord Victor's mental connection with me.

The cell was dimly lit by the glow of torches in the corridor. There was constantly a cold draft coming in, which didn't make the dark and slightly damp area any more pleasant. I slumped in the corner and kicked at some of the straw scattered on the ground sullenly. Stupid Lord Victor. What does he want with me? Why keep me cooped up in this depressing prison cell?

I leaned my head back against the cold rock wall and closed my eyes, letting out a long sigh. Even the best warriors have their downfalls. Is this it for me? Is this the end of Katherine Lewis, the girl who had a quest but failed to see it end? I was getting more and more depressed the longer I stay here. My mind drifted back to my family, the young siblings and aging parents I left behind. If I don't return, don't be sad. At least I died with honor, trying to fulfill my mission and defend the land. I hope you guys are proud of me, Mom and Dad. And be safe, everyone, because I won't be there to protect all of you.

Sudden footsteps echoing in the hall drew my attention back to the present world. I sighed again, hoping that it wasn't Lord Victor wanting to see me again. Maybe they're just delivering food, although it seemed a bit early for my next meal. Whatever.

I kept my eyes closed and head turned toward the corner as the footsteps stopped in front of my cell. I heard the jangling of keys and then a click as the lock was unlocked. The door opened with a creak, and I heard a grunt as the guard heaved something heavy into my cell, which landed on the straw with a thump. What did they throw in? A sack of potatoes?

"Hope you like your new roommate, little girl," the guard said as he slammed the door shut and locked it behind him. "You two will be spending a lot of time together until your deaths."

Roommate? That drew my attention. I hope it wasn't some poor soul who wandered near Devil's Peak and got captured by Lord Victor. Curious, I opened my eyes and looked at the body lying face down on the ground, unmoving.

The person was tall and slightly muscular, with black combat boots and clothes made for fighting. Dark brown hair was ruffled on his head, and his face was turned to the side, eyes closed. I squinted in the dimness, unsure of what I was seeing. Isn't that—

"Aaron?" I croaked, my voice barely above a whisper. I haven't talked in so long that my voice was getting hoarse. Clearing my throat and shifting closer, I tried to get a better look at the face. Because the head was tilted down, I had to lean over to the side to see the face completely.

"Aar—ahh!" I fell onto my side, having leaned over too far. Our faces were only a couple feet apart. But now I got a full view of the unconscious guy's face, and it was definitely Aaron. A rush of emotions filled my chest. Why was he here? How did he get caught? Did Lord Victor do anything to him?

"Aaron, wake up! Aaron, are you alright?" I called softly, trying to sit back up but couldn't. Curse these ropes that bound me!

Aaron groaned. He dragged his hand across his face, as if waking up from a deep slumber. Slowly, his eyes fluttered open, and darted around until his gaze landed on me.