Chapter 61

Indigo

I finished the rest of the tasks that Lord Victor assigned me quickly. The case that held what possibly was the spear of light was nestled in the inner pocket of my robe. It felt incredibly heavy, and I was eager, for the first time in my life, to return to my small room in the fortress and be alone. It took all of my willpower and self-control to calmly walk up the stairs, past the guards marching down the hall, and into my room. Once in the room, I still peered around as if there were people spying on me before carefully taking the case out.

The case was very unassuming on the outside. It was made from pure mahogany and smooth to the touch. I unlatched the top to look at the spear again. I wanted to investigate it more, but I still had to report back to Lord Victor first. I felt the overpowering need to hide the case. Surveying the simple layout of the room, I decided to slip the case in the pocket of a robe hanging in the wardrobe for now.

Reporting back to Lord Victor was another round of agony. He must not know what I have found. I answered all of his questions regarding the various check-ins I did with his subordinates. He seemed to be in a good mood today.

"Wonderful, Indigo. I knew that you would not let me down." Lord Victor smiled down at me from his throne. "You've worked hard enough today. I will summon you again when I have more tasks for you. For now, you're free to do with your time as you please."

I hurriedly dropped into deep bow. "Thank you, my lord!" Lord Victor nodded, and I exited the throne room.

It was early afternoon. The side of the fortress where I resided was quiet, and the guards usually posted outside my door were gone. Good, good. I locked the door behind me and breathed a small sigh of relief. I had accomplished more than I hoped to today, and I allowed myself to feel a little bit of satisfaction.

Although I wanted to study the spear more, I had something else to do first—drawing a map of the fortress. I had been sketching as I walked around this morning, and now I added more details, penning in doors, guards, and additional labels. There were still gaps in the map for the places I haven't explored, and I didn't know where a lot of the hallways led. It was a very basic map, but I hoped that it would be helpful to Lionel and the rest of the team. At the very least, with this map, they wouldn't be lost.

A knock on my door startled me. I scrambled to hide the map as I asked, "Who is it?"

"Miss Indigo, your dinner is here." A voice replied.

I didn't realize how late it had gotten. I opened the door as nonchalantly as I could, revealing one of the guards who had been regularly posted outside my door. He held a tray of food in his hand.

"Thank you." I took the tray from him. He bowed his head slightly and turned to leave.

"Wait, isn't it your shift to be guarding my room?" I called out after him. The guard turned back around.

"We all received orders to be posted elsewhere. There won't be any guards outside your room anymore." He replied.

"Oh, I see." My mind raced with the implications of my new freedom. "Thank you again. Have a good night."

"Good night, Miss Indigo." The guard left briskly. I shut my door and paced back to my desk in thought. No more guards outside my room. I still had the pass from Lord Victor that allowed entrance to any room in the fortress. Suddenly, there was a lot more that I could do to help my friends.

What if it's a trap? A little voice nagged in my brain. What if Lord Victor is testing your loyalty?

Lord Victor cannot suspect anything. Lionel and the army could arrive any day now. I had to hurry if I want to get everything I planned done in time. I just have to be careful, that's all.