Chapter 55

Aaron

I glowered at Lionel as I took my seat beside Katherine, telling him with my eyes that I hated him and the he was not welcomed here. He met my gaze and then looked away, at Indigo. I followed him with my gaze.

Rachel, Indigo, and Lucian told their story first. Rachel talked about how Ashley told them about Lord Victor's plan to bomb the campsite so they could evacuate in time. "Ashley saved us all," Rachel said, "but she didn't make it out."

"She kind of deserved it," I interjected. "She was the one who led me into Lord Victor's trap and got me captured."

Rachel and Lucian looked at me with disbelief. Indigo said nothing as I explained how Ashley was working with Lord Victor the entire time. Katherine poked me.

"Yes, but she also gave us the keys so we could escape. She was just blinded with grief over Jason's death."

"Ashley told me the truth before she died," Indigo spoke up. All eyes turned to her. "I had actually encountered her talking with Lord Victor one night, but she managed to convince me she wasn't. Before the bomb went off, Ashley told me how she realized too late that Lord Victor never intended to keep his promises. The only way to save all of us was for her to pacify Lord Victor and sacrifice herself. She conjured up an illusion of the campsite and stayed behind to maintain the magic. She died so that we could escape."

I was surprised. Ashley's illusion was so realistic that Lord Victor believed it. I believed it. Her scorched wand was solid proof that she was the only one who didn't make it out.

Katherine sniffled. "I didn't even get to see her again..." She closed her eyes, overcome with grief. "She was my best friend. I knew she wouldn't betray us, not entirely. I hope she's happy now in the afterlife."

There was a moment of silence as we all grieved for Ashley, who, in her moment of weakness, betrayed us but ultimately saved us all. Without her, none of us would be alive and here today.

Lucian continued their story, from how they found the cliff where Katherine and I jumped off to their encounter with a group of bandits led by Sneaky Joe, who turned out to be Lionel's good friend. (I knew Lionel wasn't a good person. What kind of people are friends with a bandit leader?) Indigo took over, talking about how they met Lionel and describing everything they've done so far, ending with their plan to invade Lord Victor's base.

"You see, Aaron," concluded Indigo. "We're not on Lord Victor's side, really we're not. And you don't know how glad we are to see you and Katherine. We thought you two were dead, but seeing you two here, alive and well..." Here, she choked on her words, and I saw tears well up in her eyes. "I'm so glad you're alive."

I looked up and saw Lucian looking at me. His gaze implored me to believe them. He was my best friend; how can I ever doubt him? We stood up nearly at the same time and crossed the tent to each other. For the first time in a long time, I hugged my best friend tightly. Lucian gave me a squeeze.

"I'm so glad you're okay, man," he said, sounding like he's trying not to cry. "I'm so, so glad."

"I'm sorry I doubted you earlier," I said sheepishly. "But Lucian, you'll always be my best friend, no matter what."

I heard "aww"s from the girls. Another second, and then Lucian and I separated with the handshake we made up so long ago. "I'm glad we're both alive," I said with a small smile. Lucian nodded.