Chapter 12

Aaron

Part of me wanted to run away. Old Henry was seriously creeping me out. He went from a scary-looking old guy to someone who knew who we are and knew spells. I thought the Elders told us that barely anyone knew them anymore. I thought that we were the special ones, the ones with ancient magic coursing through our veins. Well, the Elders were wrong, because this weird old dude sure knows his spells.

Katherine stood up, one hand on the hilt of her sword. "Wait," she said to Lucian, who looked like he was about to charge at Old Henry. "Mr. Henry, sir, you must be mistaken. What is this about masterminds and spell masters? And the evil lord? What do you mean he's on our trail? We're only just visiting this village."

Old Henry stroked his beard and grinned at Katherine. "Ah, my child, trying to dissuade me, eh? Nice try, Lewis, but it ain't going to work on me." A weird expression flashed over Katherine's face.

"How did you know I was a Lewis?" she demanded.

"I can see it in you, child," said Old Henry. "The same stormy grey eyes, the same fierce expression, even the same way you move about, the way you carry yourself. Just like you parents."

"You knew my parents?"

"Knew? Ha, I was practically their mentor," Old Henry snorted. "A pair of bright, adventurous kids they were. Sometimes took neck-breaking risks that nearly drove me mad with worry, but they were good kids. And now their child is here again."

"Stop. You're distracting us. What exactly do you know?" Rachel cut in.

"I know about the Rosewood Prophecy and that you guys are the chosen seven. I know that you guys barely managed to escape out of the Academy, and are trying to find the evil lord's stronghold before they find you. But frankly, you're already failing at that," Old Henry said.

"Who are you exactly? You're not just the man at the mill," said Katherine, pulling out her sword. "Stop distracting us with idle words. Either spit out the truth or let us go."

Instead of answering, Old Henry's hand suddenly flew open in Indigo's direction. Something silver streaked through the air. I pushed Indigo to the ground just as a small dart whizzed past and embedded itself in the wood wall behind her. Shiiiing! Lucian, Jason, and Rachel unsheathed their swords, the metallic sound ringing through the building. "There's seven of us and one of you," Jason growled. "Do you really want to see what we're capable of?"

"Oh, how amusing," laughed Old Henry. "But you see, I can take care of all of you with just one spell." Before they could react, Old Henry had stood up and flung a circle of silver darts at us. Clang! Clang! Jason shielded Ashley with his body as Lucian knocked several to the floor and Katherine sent most of them flying back towards the old man. Indigo and I leapt up from the floor where we were crouched and drew our weapons. The seven of us stood fanned out, weapons drawn.

Surprisingly agile for his age, Old Henry bent backwards and let the darts glide over himself, harmless. Straightening again, he raised an amused eyebrow at the seven swords pointed towards him and the battle stances.

"Stupefacio!" He shouted as Ashley yelled at the exact same time, "Topplio!" The two spells met in midair and exploded in a shower of sparks. Both of them had their index finger pointed at the other side. Old Henry stumbled back as Ashley staggered a little. Jason's arm shot out to steady her. Old Henry had shot a stun spell at us as Ashley tried to make him topple over.

"Impressive," Old Henry said as he regained his balance. "But can you match this?!" His arms were in the sky waving complicated runes as he shouted out incantations. Ashley tried her best to protect us against the spells the old man was weaving, throwing out shield spell after shield spell. But she could only protect us so much. During a lull in the spells, Old Henry attacked. One moment he was there drawing ancient shapes in the air, the next he was twirling double swords and coming at us full speed.