Chapter 37

Aaron

The days passed by quickly, bland and devoid of the usual laughter and chatter. Ashley withdrew from the rest of us, often sitting alone by the side with her knees up to her chest, rocking herself gently. I had no idea that Jason meant so much to her. It's amazing how much emotion a girl can keep hidden. Sometimes at night, before I retreated to the tent I shared with Lucian, I'd see Ashley's lone figure by our campfire, and a great sadness would fall on me. I wondered, briefly, if I were to die as suddenly and as unexpected as Jason, would anyone mourn my passing as Ashley does for Jason?

Indigo expressed her worry about Ashley to me. "Sometimes I hear her talking to herself at night," Indigo said once, when we were the only two up, keeping watch at night. "I'm so worried about her health."

"Poor Ashley. She seems so sad." I shook my head lightly and poked at our campfire with a stick. "Lucian's been acting weird lately too. He barely speaks and always looks to his side, as if expecting Jason to still be there."

"Jason's death isn't easy on any of us," Indigo sighed. "But what I'm worried about is, if Lord Victor were to tempt us as a way to break the team up, would Ashley be able to resist?"

"You mean, if Lord Victor promised her he could bring Jason back if she followed his orders?"

"Exactly. Seeing her this distraught, I'm beginning to have doubts if Ashley could resist such an offer. She loved Jason, you know." Indigo stared into the fire, looking but not seeing.

"Honestly, I don't know. I'm worried that I won't be able to resist either." I bit my bottom lip, suddenly very worried about our futures. "Ever since Jason's death, I've been so restless and worried about everything. Suddenly we seem so vulnerable, just as everyone else."

"Everything we do seem very dangerous now," Indigo agreed. "But we have to keep fighting on, right? What other choices do we have?"

We didn't speak of Ashley's probable weakness and Lucian's growing depression after that. But it was always at the back of my mind, nagging, returning to haunt my dreams in the dark and silent nights.

* * * * *

It took us three more days to arrive in the forest surrounding the base of Devil's Peak. We set up camp there, with Devil's Peak looming up above us. There was no sign of Lord Victor, except for the occasional sighting of guards or Evils. Our camp was shifted back into the depths of the forest to avoid being seen. How I missed Jason's elemental powers! He would've been able to plant a grove of tall trees around our campsite, blocking us from harm. But now all we had was shadows and bushes that we can't move.

We spent another day scouting the area, searching for a way up. There was a narrow trail carved into the side of the mountain, spiraling up to the top. We couldn't see that high up, but Rachel predicted that Lord Victor's stronghold was inside the mountain, carved from magic.

"All we need to do is to follow the trail up to the top. There has to be a door or an entrance of some sort. Bypass the guards, and then we'll be in to rescue Katherine," said Indigo, looking at the sketch Rachel made of Devil's Peak. A small X was drawn at the top, marking the entrance.

"Sounds easy. So, who's going?" Lucian asked. We looked at each other.

"I say we send two people. If we all go, it'll be easier to be spotted." Rachel said.