Chapter 10

Indigo

We combined two tables together to seat all seven of us. Uncle George brought out more food, and it was just the sound of chewing and wolfing down food for the first ten minutes. Even though I was pretty much full, seeing more food made me hungrier. Katherine and the others looked like they haven't eaten in days. Lucian and Jason almost had a fight over who gets the drumsticks.

Finally, our hunger was satisfied and the table was filled with empty platters. The girls helped carry the bowls and plates back into the kitchen while the guys threw the trash away. Uncle George brought out a strawberry cheesecake for us as dessert. My mouth began to water the moment I saw it. Uncle George's strawberry cheesecake was so delicious it shouldn't even belong on earth. It should be in heaven with the gods.

Soon everyone had a slice, and murmurs of content arose.

"Gosh, this cheesecake is so good!" exclaimed Lucian.

"I love cheesecake, and this is the best cheesecake I've ever tasted," Katherine stated.

"Indigo, you are so lucky to have an uncle who makes the best food on earth and an aunt who makes the best apple cider," said Ashley enviously. I smiled as Uncle George laughed.

"Well kiddos, you're welcome to stay with us any time you want. I'll feed you all food so good, you'll never want to eat any other food again," Uncle George joked. Then he got serious.

"Why are you kids so far from home anyway? Aren't you supposed to be in that academy of yours? And what's with all the weapons and looking like you're about to die?" The sound of forks clinking against ceramic plates stopped. We looked at each other, and everyone's gaze landed on me. I cleared my throat uneasily.

"Jason, would you go outside and check if anyone's still around? And shut and bolt the door afterwards?" I asked. Jason nodded and stood up.

"Uncle George, is there any other people living in your inn at this time?" I turned to my uncle. He shook his head.

"No. Business is slow these days. All people ever do is eat a meal here and leave. Hardly anyone lives at the inn anymore," he replied. Jason returned.

"Not a soul is outside right now," he reported. "It's completely dark and silent."

"And where's Aunt Jenny and the cousins?" I asked my uncle again.

"Upstairs. I think they're getting ready for bed."

"Okay. Ashley?" Ashley understood. Muttering something under her breath, she pointed her finger at the door. A thin blue ray of power shot out and sealed the door with an anti-eavesdropping spell. With my astonished uncle watching, Ashley did the same to the door leading upstairs to the bedrooms.

"Indigo? What is going on?" Uncle George asked with the slightest hint of fear in his voice. "Is that magic?"

"Uncle, you must promise not to tell a soul. Not even Aunt Jenny." He quickly nodded. "So, the seven of us are on a mission of some sort..." I began. Soon, I had told my uncle that we, as the top students at the Academy, were selected to carry out a mission. We had to find something, I explained. Something that might help fight and defeat the Evils. And we were born with special powers and abilities. Like magic. Uncle George listened with wide eyes. "But the thing is, no one is supposed to know about it except the Elders, our parents, and some other people," I said. "So I'm sorry uncle, but I can't tell you everything."

"I understand," my uncle said. "But surely you can trust me?"

"It's for your own protection, sir," said Katherine before I could make up a reason. "In case anyone tracks us down and finds you, they can't get any information out of you because you don't know anything. That way, our identities and whereabouts are hidden and it won't implicate you or your family." Uncle George looked shocked.