Chapter 19

Indigo

Why is it that trouble finds us everywhere we go? First at Northbell, and now at Hamberg. Why does everyone figure out who we were despite all that we do to try and hide it?

I still can't believe Madeline Rowan was here. She was the greatest sorceress of all time in my opinion, and was my role model when I was little. I was shocked when Ashley and Rachel became twin powerful sorceresses. I was even more shocked when Madeline morphed from an old woman to a beautiful maiden. But what surprised me the most was that Katherine seemed to know her; they were facing off in the middle of the room and Katherine looked ready to charge her without any weapons. Probably not so smart...

"Child, I am not here to fight you," Madeline said. "I have my own mission to carry out."

"I don't want to fight you either," Katherine said calmly. I saw that she never relaxed from her battle stance. "But how can I know that you are trustworthy? After—after last time?"

"That was years ago," Madeline said. "I can't believe you haven't forgiven me yet, especially after what I did for you."

"What did you do for me?" Katherine retorted. "I don't recall anything, except maybe almost destroying my family!"

"Ahem, but I did save your life," Madeline reminded Katherine gently. Katherine scoffed.

"That was a coincidence. You just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Besides, I always had the feeling that you tried to kill me first, then 'saved' me so it appeared that you saved my life."

Madeline rolled her eyes. "Fine, fine. What about your sister? What was her name—Ivy? Rose? Violet?"

"Holly," Katherine said through gritted teeth. "Fine I'll give that one to you. You did manage to save her life, but only because you got lucky."

Everyone looked back and forth between them too, not quite following. What had happened before? How did Katherine know Madeline? And what is all this about saving lives and tearing apart families?

"Wow, okay, I see how it is," Madeline sniffed. "Kids these days are so unappreciative." She turned to Aaron, who stood near the door. "I can tell that you understand my authority and power. Thank you." Aaron blinked, a bit confused. Was she using some sort of magic on him? Madeline flashed him a smile, the kind that made men fall in love with a lady. Katherine and I both stiffened. How dare she...the witch...

"Yo! You nearly caused my parents to get a divorce!" Katherine yelled, drawing everyone's attention back to her. Madeline broke eye contact with Aaron and turned around to face Katherine. "Excuse me?"

"Don't even try to deny it! You were young and beautiful back then, but far less than my mom! You fell in love with my dad and tried to get him to run away with you! I don't know what witchcraft you did, but you almost succeeded in tearing our family apart!" Katherine's fists were clenched at her side. I was almost glad she didn't have her sword with her; I had a feeling that if she did, it would be out and pointed at Madeline's throat. The last thing we needed was the most powerful sorceress in the world pissed at us. Katherine was smart, but sometimes she could be a bit hotheaded.

But still...what? Madeline tried to make Katherine's dad fall in love with her? And when he already had two kids? Dang, that is so wrong!