Chapter 65

Katherine

While Aaron fought Jax, I kept an eye on the battle while also concentrating on healing myself. It was hard to summon my healing magic when I was already so weak and out of energy. The blue sparks that appeared were dull and faded quickly, but it was better than nothing. At least my shoulder wound stopped bleeding.

I managed to sit up straight against the stone wall. I watched as Aaron, enraged, utilize his wind power in a way I've never seen him do—with the intention to kill. During our entire quest, Aaron did use wind to fight, but it was to blast the enemies back or at most, sweep them off the side of the mountain. It wasn't used to directly hurt or kill anyone. Now, the wind was a weapon in his hands. I saw Jax get hit by a gust of wind with the force of a typhoon. Although there weren't any visible external wounds, Jax definitely took on heavy internal damage.

Now I understood the Elders' warning at the very beginning, when we first found out we were the chosen ones. If Aaron was on the opposing side, I didn't know if I could defeat him. He was powerful, more powerful than any of us realized—including himself. I watched as Aaron, his eyes blazing, plunged Retribution into Jax's chest without hesitation. I watched as he retracted the sword with a sickening squelch, as Jax breathed his last breath, and as the blood pooled around him. Lord Victor's eyes were locked on Aaron, who stood defiantly and triumphantly over the body of Lord Victor's only bodyguard, the sword by his side, still dripping fresh blood.

"You killed Jax," Lord Victor hissed angrily, rising from his throne. Aaron didn't break eye contact. "You are stronger than I believed you to be, Aaron Kane."

"If this is the skill level of your bodyguard, then I wonder how you managed to survive till now," Aaron taunted. "Did you not think we would put up a good fight?"

Lord Victor slowly walked down the steps and onto the walkway towards Aaron. I watched them anxiously. "Jax is the most skilled warrior of his time. His double crescent moon knives have slew many a good swordsman. I thought he would make quick work of you, but you have exceeded my expectations." Lord Victor paused and looked at Jax's body. "He was a good bodyguard. I am sad that he will not see the future I promised him."

"The future you promised him?" Aaron guffawed. "There is no future with you. Only darkness and death and suffering. It ends here, Lord Victor. No more shall you rein terror over this land."

Lord Victor's eyes seemed to spit fire as they locked onto Aaron again. "You may be good in terms of combat, but you are certainly lacking up here." He tapped his head. "Did you forget that I have powers far greater than yours?"

He raised his arms, and darkness seemed to rise from the ground and slither around him. Aaron took a step back, holding Retribution out in front of him in a defensive position. I heard the growls and shrieks of hundreds of Evils coming from all directions. I wanted to help Aaron, but I was still too weak to stand. Forget fighting; I felt like I would collapse if I took more than three steps. Aaron had slammed me into the wall too hard when he was trapped in the illusions.

Tendrils of darkness shot out at Lord Victor's command and streaked towards Aaron, who tried to cut them down from the air. They flew around Aaron, surrounding him in a black cocoon as he slashed through them to no avail. Before they could tighten and ensnare him completely, Aaron encased himself in a ball of wind that blasted outwards, instantly dissipating the darkness. I felt the wind ruffle my hair even though I was a good fifteen meters away.

Frowning, Lord Victor bombarded Aaron with more evil smoke, increasing the frequency and strength as Aaron forged forward with his ball of wind. The comets of darkness bounced off harmlessly, streaking off and hitting the ground, where they sizzled and evaporated. When Aaron was five meters away from where Lord Victor stood, he yelled and charged, brandishing Retribution. Lord Victor made a complicated pattern in the air with his hands and pushed outwards, sending out a powerful blast. Aaron tried to counter with a wind blast of his own, but was ultimately pushed back several meters. Before he could straighten and charge again, Lord Victor wove his hands in the air in another pattern and sent larger blasts sailing through the air at Aaron.