Chapter 41

Aaron

"NO!!" A scream was ripped from my throat. I saw the flames flickering down below us, right where our campsite was. I didn't need the magic portal to see that everyone was dead. I knew what had happened. I studied this in school.

Katherine was staring with horror at the portal, her lips struggling to form words. "How—?"

"You planted a bomb, didn't you? You intended to kill us all along!" I struggled with renewed vigor, trying to leap at Lord Victor. My captors held me back, but their iron grips didn't matter to me when all I could see in my mind were the charred and blown up bodies of my friends.

"Ah, Aaron, you are smart. I'm sorry I underestimated you before." Lord Victor smiled humorlessly at me, and then turned his attention back to the blazing forest. "Isn't fire such a beautiful sight?"

"He bombed the campsite? Was that really a bomb?" Katherine was in so much shock she seemed to not be able to process the information.

"Yes...yes he did. The fire started as a result of all the explosives he used. There's no way anyone survived—for an explosion so big that we can feel it from up here, the amount of explosives used would wipe out anyone within half a mile of the epicenter." I explained bitterly. "I studied this in the Academy. I've only ever heard of the destructiveness, but I never thought I'd see it in action."

"Ashley...Ashley was down there. I thought Ashley was working with you. Why would you kill her?" Katherine focused on Lord Victor.

"Child, please. I am the evil lord. I use people to get what I want, and then I get rid of them. She seemed to be too, ah, rebellious for my taste. If she could betray her friends, who's to say that she wouldn't betray me someday?" Lord Victor answered calmly, as if it was just another thing checked off his to-do list. Katherine's eyes burned red.

"Why would you do such a thing?!" She screamed. "Why would you kill my friends in front of me?!"

"I told you to hurry up and make a decision. You were too slow, so your friends paid the price." Lord Victor clasped his hands behind his back and turned to face us. "Now, my dear Kath, choose between me and the mission, or Aaron here will die too. But I suppose he might want to, though, because his dear, dear Indigo is dead. Is that right, Aaron?"

"Don't call me Kath!" Katherine yelled and lunged for Lord Victor.

"Don't you dare talk about Indigo!" I shouted at the same time and wrenched my arms from my captors. With two swift kicks to the stomach, I knocked down the two soldiers that were holding me and took the sword from one of them. I barreled towards Katherine's captors, who simultaneously let go of her arms in order to draw their own swords. The guards around the edge drew their weapons and prepared to advance. With a huge gust of wind, I swept them all off of their feet and sent them toppling off the mountain, not caring anymore if they lived or died. Indigo is dead. Lucian is dead. Everyone is dead.

Meanwhile, Katherine had picked up a discarded spear and hurled it like a javelin towards Lord Victor, who dodged it easily. Not discouraged, Katherine picked up another spear and ran towards Lord Victor, trying to impale him. He only laughed and swirled his cloak, disappearing into thin air. Katherine nearly ran straight off the cliff, barely managing to stop in time.

Maniac laughter echoed around us. Lord Victor materialized in the middle of the peak again. "I suppose this means you're not choosing me," he said to Katherine. "What a pity; I really hate to kill you."