Chapter 31

Indigo

"Kath!" Aaron's voice was filled with horror as Katherine coughed up another mouthful of blood and slumped in his arms. He held her tightly, one arm around her waist, the other tilting her limp upper body back so that her head was lying on his shoulder. "Rachel, help!" I have never heard so much panic in Aaron's voice. My hand was trembling. I released my grip on the sword.

I could only stare in shock, at the blade reflecting the luminescent lights and at the crimson blood that was blossoming on Katherine's clothes like a bright red flower. Everything was so unreal. I remembered riding through the woods, running from the unknown, and then suddenly, Aaron and I were alone. We paced around, trying to find the others, when a blue orb suddenly flew out of a bush behind us and spread its tendrils towards me. It was as if I was electrocuted. I remember seeing some sort of a vision, and then having this overwhelming hatred towards Katherine. Voices spoke in my head, feeding the little pool of darkness in my heart until evil took over.

And then, I stabbed Katherine through with my sword.

I don't know what came over me. I didn't know how to stop the voices in my brain, or how to stop the anger and hurt and jealousy that kept flaring up. I didn't know why I was saying all those mean and hurtful things, or how I could ever call Katherine what I did. How I could call anyone the name I called her. The moment Katherine's blood splattered my sword my mind cleared. I saw the world as it was. Instead of phantom shapes and illusions that clouded my vision, I saw Katherine's frail figure and her blood on my hands. I was a horrible person. I let the evils get the best of me. And there was no way to go back.

Aaron slid gingerly down to the ground, positioning himself so that Katherine's upper body was slightly elevated in his arms. Rachel rushed over, summoning her healing magic. Ashley followed closely, digging in Rachel's satchel for poultices and medicine. Jason and Lucian ran after, fear on their faces.

"Rachel, hurry, hurry!"

"I'm trying!"

"Kath, stay with us, you hear me? Stay with me!"

I could only perch on top of my horse, replaying the scene over and over in my mind. Truth to be told, the split second before my sword reached Katherine my mind was already starting to clear. But I didn't stop in time. I chose to keep going. Perhaps my thinking was still cloudy. Maybe I didn't register the sword in my outstretched arm as dangerous. But it was still me who stabbed Katherine.

Even from here I could tell that their efforts were going to be useless. Katherine was as good as dead. The stab was too precise, too well-calculated. I ran her through. I felt my blade puncture her skin and poke out the other side. It was a fatal wound. There was no way she would survive.

Good Katherine, nice Katherine, innocent Katherine with the sparkling eyes and merry laughter...I swayed, sick of myself. How could I have done this? How could I kill my friend? I almost threw up in disgust.

Rachel carefully extracted the sword, pulling it out inch by inch. I watched as the blood began to flow, as Katherine's failing heart pumped its blood out of the wound. There was so much blood, it pooled beneath Katherine's body and covered Rachel's healing hands.

I toppled off the horse, drawing their attention. Aaron yelled my name, fearing for the worst. Why was he worried about me? I was fine. I wasn't the one who was losing blood by the quarts right now. I crawled back up, brushing away the gritty dirt that covered my palms. Stumbling over to the group, I saw how they all drew back, almost afraid of what I would do. I saw Aaron bring Katherine just a little closer to him protectively. I saw Lucian and Jason's hands rest on the hilts of their swords, ready to fight. I saw Ashley stand in the way, ready to defend her friends. It made me so sad. When did they become frightened of me?