Chapter 64

Aaron

"I don't believe we've actually met in person, Aaron," Lord Victor said. "but I've certainly heard a lot about you. How did you like the little welcoming gift I prepared for you?"

My head was buzzing as a storm of thoughts ran through my mind. I was still reeling from shock. I barely felt the stone floor beneath my knees and barely heard Lord Victor's gleeful voice. All I saw was Katherine, her face a mask of pain, sitting weakly against the wall, blood staining her entire left shoulder red. Her gaze was locked on Lord Victor, but now it fluttered to me. I couldn't read her emotions. Remorse overwhelmed me; I wanted to explain but I knew there was no excuse for what I've done. I hurt Katherine. I was ready to kill her.

My mind flashed back to what I saw after I picked up the orb. I was going to destroy it, but as soon as I touched the orb I was transported to an empty space that was white all around. An ancient voice thundered, "Aaron Kane, wind master of the Rosewood Seven, why have you awakened me?"

"Who are you?" I asked, looking around for the source of the voice. "Where am I?"

"I am the spirit of Crystallea, birthed when the kingdom was born. Mortals used to seek me for my wisdom and wage war to gain the power that comes with wisdom." The voice answered. "Tell me, Aaron Kane—what do you wish to know? You may ask one question."

I was still cautious about this mysterious place and the mysterious voice, but there didn't seem to be any imminent danger. This being was offering to answer one of my questions—why not try? I thought for a few seconds. "How do we defeat Lord Victor?"

"The evil lord who controls the monsters is more powerful than all of the Rosewood Seven combined." The voice was frank with its answer. My heart sank. "But have no fear—to defeat the evil lord, one must first see the truth. Do you wish to see the truth, Aaron Kane?"

"The truth? Um, yes. Yes, I wish to see the truth." I answered. The voice seemed pleased with my answer.

"I warn you: the truth can be painful. Behold, Aaron Kane, the truth of your journey." With this, the scene suddenly changed, and I found myself standing on top of a cliff. I saw Katherine and myself jump off, only for Lord Victor to suddenly appear and whisk us away. This didn't happen. What's going on?

The scene changed again. I was standing in the throne room at Devil's Peak, and Katherine was speaking with Lord Victor. I could only watch and listen as they struck a deal—Lord Victor would save my life in exchange for Katherine's allegiance. I saw Lord Victor conduct elaborate spells with Katherine by his side. I saw him plant the memories in my mind: meeting Martha and Matthew, enjoying our days at the bottom of the cliff, escaping with Charles and Christina, and our entire journey to the Northern Mountains. I was astounded. All of this was fake? Lord Victor fabricated all of this and planted them in my mind?

The scenes changed rapidly. I saw how Katherine was involved in Indigo's abduction and how she skillfully influenced Lionel's plans to match her agenda with Lord Victor. I saw how Lucian was blown up by the explosives that Katherine knew were planted there, how she purposefully led us to the dungeon and through the booby-trapped territory, and how she singlehandedly crafted Lionel's demise. It was all planned. Katherine lied to us all. She betrayed us.

The scenes ended. I, still dizzy from the whirlwind of information, heard the ancient voice boom once more: "Now you know the truth, Aaron Kane. Now you are no longer living a lie. What will you do, Aaron? What will you do?"

As the voice faded, I found myself back in the throne room of the fortress, holding the orb. Katherine's calm voice drew my attention: "Aaron, bring the orb here. Give it to me."